16

Chapter sixteen,

"Alright, one scoop of chocolate. That's a buck-twenty-five" Steve mumbles as he hands the ice cream to a customer.

"Ooh! Perdue. Fancy" he says once he notices the girl's t-shirt.

"Yeah, I'm excited"

"Yeah, you know I considered it, Purdue but then I was like you know what? I really think I need some real-life experience you know? Before I hit college, see what it feels like. Kinda like, see what it's like to earn a working-man's wage, you know?" 

The register starts going off. "Yeah totally" the girl mumbles sarcastically. "Yeah anyway this was like so fun. We should kind of like, you know maybe hang out this weekend-"

He drops her change all over the counter. "Sorry about that, maybe next weekend or-"

"Yeah. I'm busy" she says before giggling and walking away.

"I- this is my first day here-" he says before turning to Kim who was right beside him. Even though she doesn't work there she does more work than Steve.

"It wasn't that bad" he says. "No it was bad. Do you want some advice?"

"Sure"

"Just stop talking. Do your job. Also don't drop her change all over the counter and then ask her out"

Steve groans and Robin pulls out the board. "You are oh-for-six, Popeye"

"Yeah, I can count"

"You know that means you suck" Robin adds.

"Yep, I can read, too"

"Since when?"

"It's this stupid hat! I am telling you, it's totally blowing my best feature"

"Yeah, company policy is a real drag. You know, it's a crazy idea, but have you considered? Telling the truth?"

"Oh you mean, that I count get into Tech and my douchebag dad's trying to teach me a lesson, I make three bucks and hour and I have no further? That truth?"

"Hey, twelve o'clock!"

"Oh, shit. Oh shit!"

"Maybe listen to Kim's advice. Do your job and be quite"

Steve ignores her "I'm going in, okay? And you know what? Screw company policy" Steve says as he throws his hat off.

"Oh my god you're a whole new man"

"Ahoy, ladies! Didn't see you there. Would you guys like to set sail on this ocean of flavour with me? I'll be your captain. I'm Steve Harrington"

Robin and Kim exchange glances and add another tally.

⭑·゚゚·*:༅。.。༅:*゚:*:✼✿ ✿✼:*゚:༅。.。༅:*·゚゚·⭑

After 30 minutes of walking everyone was tired, it was hot outside and everyone would rather be sitting in someone's house with the air conditioning on.

"Aren't we high enough?" Lucas asks. "Cerebro works best at a hundred meters"

"You know, I'm pretty sure people in Utah have telephones"

"Yeah, but Susie's Mormon" Dustin adds. "Oh, shit. She doesn't have electricity?" Lucas asks.

"Oh, that's the Amish"

"What are Mormons?" Will asks. "Super religious white people. They have electricity and cars and stiff, but... since I'm not Mormon, her parents would never approve. It's all a bit... Shakespearean"