Chapter 3 - Tension

Christopher
***

The July evening was warm. Even at midnight you could walk in the streets in only a shirt and not need a jacket. Kent, Mike, and I had just arrived at the bar, the heat from inside hitting us as we walked in. We went straight for the pool table to make sure it was available and luckily for us the group playing was almost finished. As we waited for our turn we ordered beer at the bar.

"At this point we should just ask for a three musketeers and they immediately pour us three beers," joked Kent. "They should have our picture on the wall we come here so many times!"

Bartholomew was an old bar downtown popular among men who enjoyed watching sports and play snooker or darts. It was one of those bars where the music wasn't too loud and you could have a good time with the boys. It was our favorite spot to hang out after a long day of work, but tonight I wasn't feeling so relaxed.

Kent knew about my plan to tell Mike about Ali. He didn't understand my nervousness, claiming that I was overthinking it. He told me that if I was that nervous that I should tell Mike a white lie, that I was in fact in a relationship, but not the whole story. I contemplated that idea but decided against it: if I was going to come clean, I was going to tell him everything. He'd find out sooner or later Ali studied at Evergreen and he'd put two and two together and that could bring even more problems.

We drank a few beers before going over to the pool table. Mike was the superior player so Kent and I played as a team against him. He was probably going to win anyway but it was still a good time.

"How are your kids?" I asked Mike as I studied my next move. His oldest daughter was six years old and his son had just turned three.

"How are they?! Oh, they're fine, living their best lives! Now me and Sandra, that's another story..."

"Trouble in paradise?" Asked Kent, leaning against a wall with his beer in hand. I hit the ball and scored.

"Taking care of toddlers is hard," Mike replied. "We barely have time just for ourselves, and when we do we are too exhausted to even have an engaging conversation... We've been fighting a lot because of this."

"Sorry to hear that mate," I replied as he focused on his shot. "You should get a babysitter just for a weekend so you two could go somewhere quiet and alone."

"That's not a bad idea actually," said Mike. "Now all I have to do is find someone trustworthy, an impossible task because Sandra doesn't like anyone."

I hid a smile from my friend as I remembered the days when Ali used to babysit. She'd be the perfect fit if she didn't work so much. I almost blurted out that I knew someone, but held back.

"I mean, I guess for a weekend I could leave them with you guys, can't I?" Asked Mike. Kent and I exchanged looks. "Don't feel pressured to say yes, I know it's a big responsibility... Although between the two of you, I think you'd be better suited for the job Chris since you volunteer at daycare."

"Thanks a lot," snickered Kent, taking a swing of his beer and taking the pool cue from my hand and playing his turn.

"I'm just being honest. Do you think you could do that for me?"

I stared wide eyed at him, not knowing what to say.

"You'll be fine Chris. Besides, you'll have help, won't you?"