Chapter 41 - Tom

David
***

Tom Harries, Tom Harries, Tom Harries... What a man.

He was here in my studio for the first time. It was almost impossible to contain my excitement.

I always found it difficult to play it cool when I was genuinely excited about the man I was seeing, but with Tom I had to control myself. I couldn't appear too needy, I couldn't seem completely head over heels about him or else I'd scare him off and my life would be ruined. I couldn't mess it up with him. God knew how much of a miracle it was to have him here in my studio.

He was everything I dreamed of. A black man with a similar upbringing as me, a successful lawyer, responsible, respectful, a gentleman. It was easy to talk to him. He didn't judge me and wasn't scared off by my lifestyle. He showed interest in my art before jumping in bed with me, which in my world was basically a marriage proposal.

Slow down David. Stop fantasying a future with him.

He did, however, not want to be seen with me. That was easy to tell, and that was why I couldn't fuck it up. He was perfect and I was not, and I knew at the slightest inconvenience he'd leave.

I knew his type. He was the kind of guy who was still in the closet at 32 years old. I understood why and didn't ask questions. For a man like him who passed easily as being heterosexual, why would he give up that privilege? He was already a black person working in a predominantly white law firm, he couldn't afford to be labelled anything else. What's worse, to date an artist? He'd lose his reputation, I was sure of it. I had no idea why he was interested in me, but I didn't want to question it too much.

I understood that even though it hurt. I understood why he hesitated in grabbing a coffee in the morning after our one night stand even though it hurt.

I wasn't looking for casual, not anymore. I wanted love, and I wanted it from him. For that I was willing to accept his rules, whatever they were. After all, it was better to be loved in secret than to not be loved at all.

Silly me already thinking about love on our third date. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Calm down David, show him you're cool. Remember, less intensity, don't scare him off.

There was a slight problem though. I mean, obviously it couldn't be all smooth sailing or else it wouldn't be a classic David love story: Tom worked at Lockhart, the same place Jay worked at. They were basically desk colleagues from the extensive LinkedIn stalking I carried out.

If he found out I was so close to his colleagues' girlfriend, Maddie, he'd never speak to me again, and just the thought of it made me sick. I couldn't lose him, he was the man I needed. He was perfect.

Tom Harries, Tom Harries, Tom Harries. So hot, so smart, so manly, so secure, so strong.

"Wow, your workplace is a lot more interesting than mine Dav," said my Casanova the second he walked in my studio. "Is this really all yours?"

I shot him a smile. "I know the reputation that follows us artist isn't the best... But I bring excellence to every piece I create and for my creative process I need a space that reflects that: excellence."

The more I could convince that I was not like other artists the better. To have him, I knew I had to distance myself from a bohemian, chaotic lifestyle.