Chapter 18 - Soufflé

Alison
***

"I'm nervous," Chris admitted as he drove. "I'm starting to doubt this..."

The rain was pouring down hard, making it hard to see the road. Chris was driving slower than usual, and I suspected it wasn't just to avoid an accident.

"It's gonna be fine," I said, trying to reassure him. "Worst case scenario we realize Mike's a dick and we never speak to him again. Simple."

Even though I sounded confident, we both knew our plan to confront Mike was risky. First of all, we were doing it through deception, which already wasn't ideal. Second of all, we were doing it at his workplace, putting him on the spot to pretend he wasn't angry at one of his students to ensure the class ran smoothly. Chris was nervous not only because I'd reveal myself at the end of the class, but also because he'd have to walk in and sit for a whole two hour cooking class, in essence forcing Mike to treat him cordially.

It could all backfire, we knew that. He could take it the wrong way if he didn't have a good sense of humor.

However, it would actually be pretty fun to try.

When we got to the Mike's teaching studio, Chris parked nearby so we wouldn't be seen leaving the same car. I decided to go in first so I could have time to speak to Mike informally before the class began. I sprinted towards the door, my heels announcing my approach as they echoed loudly on the sidewalk.

I opened the heavy door and took off my raincoat in the foyer. A few steps away from the door was a staircase, a sign on the wall saying the kitchen was upstairs.

I hung my jacket on the designated area, noticing most of the garments already there belonged to women. I thought back to the times Chris described to me Mike's cooking lessons, how he was almost always the only man attending. It would make me blending in much easier, but it would mean Chris would stick out like a sore thumb.

I went upstairs, feeling slightly nervous. I could already hear some chatter as I approached the landing. I put on the mask I wore when I had to appear confident, straightened my shoulders, rose my chin, and walked slowly.

All eyes were on me when I emerged from the stairs. I smiled politely at the small group of women, noting that most of them were older than me. One woman was clearly in her seventies, which I found rather cute.

I put my purse on a chair, claiming my seat. I then walked back to the group of women, wanting to blend in seamlessly. They were all welcoming towards me, and through our first conversation I realized they were usual customers. They were happy to see a new lady join their classes, and I had to pretend I was looking forward to get to know them all.

Little did they know this was the first and last time they would see me.

It didn't take long for Mike to appear, approaching the group with an energetic smile. He immediately noticed me, the new person in the group, and extended his hand to greet me. Even though I had spoken to him on the phone already to enroll, it was hard picturing him only through the sound of his voice.

Mike was close to Chris' age. He was tall and bulky, making his presence known immediately. His dark skin contrasted with the crisp white apron he was wearing to protect his clothes.

As our hands joined, I looked him in the eyes. A rush of adrenaline coursed through me at the realization that I was deceiving this man in front of me, that I desperately wanted to impress him and make him like me.