Chapter 16 - Shots

Christopher
***

We got home at ten thirty. As Ali got ready to go to bed, putting cream after cream on her face, I paced back and forth in the living room, undecided on how to proceed.

Kent was right. We should address our past relationships in an adult way. It was better to have everything out in the open than to keep them a secret from one another. It was a pattern for us to keep things from each other to protect our relationship, but every time we did it it never worked out how we planned. It always backfired, and we ended up arguing or heartbroken.

I didn't want that to happen this time. At the core of it, I didn't think it was that serious of the subject. It wasn't as if I was purposely keeping information from Ali. I had nothing to hide after all. I just knew this was an uncomfortable subject, one that could create problems when there weren't any.

However, even though I had nothing to hide, I wasn't so sure about Ali. I was afraid I'd open a pandora box and hurt myself unnecessarily.

Maybe she felt the same way about me. Maybe that's why she never asked.

She exited the bedroom and made her way down the corridor. She had combed her hair and her skin was glistening from all the moisturizer.

"You seem tense," she said, her naked feet tip tapping on the hardwood floor until she reached the kitchen. "Want a cup of tea?"

I accepted her offer, thinking that if there was any right way to have this conversation, over tea sounded like the best.

She joined me on the couch once the tea was ready. She sat carefully next to me so she wouldn't spill anything.

"There you go," she smiled, handing me my cup as she rested her head on my shoulder. "Maybe camomile will sooth that tension."

"I'm not tense, why do you say that?" I asked, touching the scalding tea with my lips.

She rubbed my knee. "You were so quiet on the way home... Is this about Mike? About us meeting?"

Oh right, almost forgot there was also that problem to solve.

"I was just thinking, that's all," I replied softly. "The longer we wait for you guys to meet the worse. I haven't spoken to him in weeks and I'm afraid he doesn't want to talk to me..."

"You know what we should do?" Ali said, her eyes sparkling. "We should go to his cooking class but pretend we're strangers. Mike will be wondering what the hell you're doing there and not even think about me. I'll talk to him throughout, bond through our love of cooking, and in the end of the class you tell him I'm Alison. What do you think?"

I gave her a half smile and kissed her forehead. She was trying so hard to make me happy.

"That's a wonderful idea," I said. "Are you free next Thursday at five?"

She made some calculations. "I can make it work."

We settled silently, sipping on our tea. Ali tucked her legs in, fully resting her body weight on my shoulder. I awkwardly snaked my hand behind her back and adjusted her to a more comfortable position.

Taking a deep breath, I felt her weight on me and her calming presence. It would be fine, I just had to start the conversation and let it flow naturally.