Chapter 4 - Drunk

Alison
***

I was taken out of my slumber by the lock mechanism of the front door. I jolted awake, the book I had on my lap sliding off me and landing on the couch. Chris told me he'd be back early from his night out with the boys so I tried to stay up and ask him how it went when he arrived.

I immediately knew something wasn't right by the pattern of Chris' steps. I glanced at my phone to check the time and I was surprised to see it was past two in the morning.

"Chris?" I called from the couch, my voice groggy. I watched him walk into the apartment, his steps clumsy yet unhurried.

"Hey baby," he said back, his voice dragging. "What are you doing up so late?"

As soon as he said that, I knew he was drunk. I could tell from the tone in his voice, the way he pronounced the words, even the pace at which the words came out of his mouth that he had drank excessively.

"Did you drink?" I asked, getting up from the couch, frowning.

"Oh Ali, don't be like that," he said, emptying his pockets in the kitchen island.

"Answer me," I insisted. When I was close enough to smell him, the scent of alcohol hit me like a truck. "You stink! How much did you drink?"

He sighed. "Ali, it's nothing. Go back to sleep, we'll talk tomorrow."

His nonchalantness made me furious. He knew he shouldn't drink, why the hell had he done it? Did he want to fall back into bad habits? Did he want to have nightmares and flashbacks?

"No!" I raised my voice. "You know you can't drink! Why did you do it?"

He tried to cup my cheeks, but I pushed him away. He looked sad, drunk, and sleepy but I didn't give a crap. I was furious.

"Why are you pushing me away?" He deflected, trying to grab me again. I took a deliberate step back.

"Because I'm mad at you! You know you can't drink!"

"Well, tonight I kinda needed it," he simply said.

I snickered. "No you fucking didn't! You went out with Kent and Mike, they know you can't drink excessively, at least I'm sure Kent knows that... Unless you drank alone."

He huffed in frustration. "I don't have time for this bickering Ali. All I wanted was to get home and have my girl comfort me after a shitty night but I guess you can't see that."

I crossed my arms. He was so drunk it was making his needy side come to the surface, but I wasn't having any of it.

"Why did you have a shitty night?" I asked, crossing my arms.

"Because Mike's a fucking dick."

As soon as he said that, I started to suspect the reason of his drinking. It didn't excuse it, but at least it helped explain it.

"Chris, you knew it was a possibility that he wouldn't take the news well. It doesn't give you an excuse to drink like this!"

"You weren't fucking there!" He suddenly exploded. My eyes widened in surprise. "You didn't hear his hurtful words... I thought he was my friend but he instantly jumped into conclusions about our relationship, saying that I was living a sick fantasy and that it would never work out."