Chapter 7 - Dinner

Maddison
***

Our hosts made way for us to come in. I tried not to look at the details of the apartment attentively, but it was impossible. The apartment had predominantly masculine features with a few feminine ones scattered around. Ali had told me Chris had been living in that apartment for almost a decade already, so I was sure most of the style and decor options were his.

I was surprised at how warm and inviting it was. The deep colors of the walls, the dark tones of the furniture, the pops of greenery and yellow lighting truly made for a comfortable, non-threatening environment. Although I kept these thoughts to myself, I wanted to comment how Dr Damon's demeanor at Evergreen was polar opposite to his home. He was truly a surprising man in many aspects.

The conversation during dinner was also a pleasant surprise. I was amazed at how normal the whole evening felt. Even though David and I slipped a few "Dr Damon"s here and there, instead of tensing up our old professor laughed about it, making a joke right after about us still viewing him that way after so many years after graduating. Ali wasn't as easygoing as Christopher, blushing constantly throughout the night. I kicked her under the table, wanting her to snap out of it. There was no reason for her to be embarrassed.

David and I also got to experience first hand the affection the improbable pair had for each other. I knew David was observing them like a hawk, so whenever they shared a knowing look are a tender smile, David signalled it discreetly to me. I had seen them share their affection before, but this was all completely new to David. I knew he'd spend the whole ride to Jay's house commenting on what he saw.

"So, David, tell me, what have you been up to?" Asked Christopher as we moved on to dessert. "Ali told me Art Press is thinking of writing an article about you."

David smiled. "I've never been busier! I'm drowning in commissions, my agent can't stop nagging me about finishing my collection... But I can't complain really. I'm living the dream!"

Everyone knew that out of everyone in our year group David would be the most successful artist. He had the highest grade in his final assessment and started receiving commissions left and right. It didn't take long for an agent to spot him and the rest is history. However, even though he was enjoying tremendous success, in many ways he was still the same David we met years ago.

"And what about that guy, what's his name?... Tyler, isn't it?" Asked Ali. "Are you guys still a thing or...?"

I was surprised Ali brought up this subject in front of Dr Damon. David's sexuality was evident, but I knew he had never came out in front of a teacher before.

David, trying to masks his unease, was extra flamboyant. "Oh, that poor fella? That ship has sailed girl. He just couldn't keep up with me."

"What do you mean he can't keep up with you?" Asked Ali. I kicked her under the table, afraid David meant something sexual by that comment. I was starting to get secondhand embarrassment.

He swatted his hand in the air. "I mean, duh, I'm completely out of his league! I can't apologise for being too booked and not giving the poor puppy attention all the time. He started to feel like a chore to me honestly."

"I'm sorry to hear that," Ali replied. There was silence after that, no one really knowing how to proceed.

"Well, if you guys care about each other, even if you think he's a chore to you, you'll find a way," commented Christopher to the utter surprise or everyone.