19

Y'all get no context but I just learned the hard way that titles have an 80 character limit. I is sad boy :(

It was a slow day at his job. A costumer here and there, but other than that, the cafe remained empty. And all that did was leave (Y/n) to his own thoughts.

And with those thoughts came ones of the night before. (Y/n) groaned. It had been a while since he thought relationship issues would be on his mind. He was a bit too preoccupied with the whole 'transported to another dimension' thing to worry much about whether he had a boyfriend or not.

"You doing okay, kid?" his boss/cafe owner asked. He jumped slightly before turning to her. Maja was just about the only person he worked with who he talked to throughout the day. Most people who worked at the cafe considered her a second mom, as the older woman basically adopted any teenager who got a job there. She had curly, bordering frizzy, green hair that she usually kept pulled back into a ponytail. Her sky blue eyes were warm and framed with small wrinkles that showed her age.

(Y/n) suddenly seemed really interested in the table that he was cleaning. There was a small stain on the wood that had been there since he got the job and at that exact moment, the boy decided to make it his goal to remove it. "Meh, nothing too special" He said with a shrug.

Maja gave an unconvinced hum at his words, "Well 'nothing too special' seems to be distracting you a lot. And in front of all of these costumers too!" She laughed, arm sweeping over the scene of the very empty cafe, "But seriously, it's not good to keep it all bottled up like that".

"No, really. It's honestly just a dumb thing I did when I was sleep deprived and delusional" he admitted, knitting his eyebrows together while staring at the stain as if it was at fault. "Ah, so there's someone else" she noted with a glint in her eye, "I know that lost look anywhere. So," She took a seat at the booth and motioned for him to do the same, "what happened?"

Her studying gaze was hard to meet and (Y/n) found himself staring down at that same little stain. A nervous chuckle escaped his lips as he forced himself to more or less meet her eyes. "I mean, it's kinda dumb, but I kissed him on the cheek and he kissed me on the forehead" (Y/n) admitted after a bit of silence, "... I mean, I said it shouldn't change anything, but still" he trailed off a bit before muttering mostly to himself, "I thought we'd at least talk about it..."

"Ah, teen romance. I remember it well" Maja noted with a sigh, "I once fell for this beautiful young man myself. We remained friends for a while, but I would grow to regret not expressing my feelings" her eyes held a far off look as a wispy sigh softly left her, "It isn't fun to watch the one you love leave you behind without even knowing it".

(Y/n) stared at her for a few seconds before his eyes darted back to the stain, finding some sort of odd relief in the wood's mark as his eyebrows knitted together. I don't think I'd have to worry much about him leaving me, but... "I.. I think I know what you mean" He said, "And, well--..." He sighed, eyes taking on a far off look of their own, "Even if he doesn't feel anything towards me, I don't want him out of my life or anything".

"I'm not saying you should leave him, but you'll only hurt yourself by holding on to unspoken confessions" Maja said. She grabbed hold of one of (Y/n)'s hand, gripping it reassuringly. "You shouldn't fight yourself over 'what if's. Just enjoy what you have and if you want more, don't be afraid to ask for it" she smiled at him, patting his hand.

"And for heaven's sake, please don't let it deter you from your work"

~~~~~

"Does it ever get tiring?" The boy asked, "I'd imagine it does, poking your head into the lives of others, pretending their problems are your own". His words confused the other. What was he talking about?