Chapter One: The Calm Before the Storm

Chin-sun blows out a cloud of smoke as her and Nam-ra sit on the roof of the school. The two of them look out at the scene before them, students conversing while many run towards the school to get passed the gates before they're accounted as late. The grounds are full of students rushing to class while others take their time to talk with friends.

Each morning this was their routine; they'd get to school early and have a smoke together. It all started in 8th grade when Chin-sun caught Nam-ra smoking and instead of telling on her, she joined her, thus sparking the beginning of their friendship. 

"My mom wants to meet you." Nam-ra voice rings, taking the cigarette as Chin-sun passes it to her. She takes a inhale herself, holding it there before blowing it out just as the other girl had.

"Meet me?" Chin-sun leans back on her hands and soaks up the sun, closing her eyes. "You talk about me?" She teases.

"No." Nam-ra's answers quickly as if the thought is ridiculous. "She wants to meet the girl who is close to becoming the top student. She wanted to meet Joon-yeong too."

"Is she going to try to scare me into not coming after your place?"   She questions further, not intimidated in the slightest. 

"More like try to pay you into 'failing'." Nam-ra tells her friend. In all honesty, Nam-ra never spoke of friends or really anything with her mother. Her mother would never care and has never showed any interest in her personal life other than her studies and being class president. "She does not think I can keep it on my own."

Chin-sun peeks open an eye and gives her friend a small gentle smile to provide the comfort she needs without touching her. Nam-ra is not one for physical affection. "I don't let you beat me; you beat me because you're smarter, Nam-ra. You're smarter than everyone and you work hard for it. If anyone deserves to be top of their class and class president, it's you."

Silence spreads between the two again as Nam-ra takes in her words. "Thank you." Her meek voice comes out. "We should go." 

Chin-sun checks her watch and sees the students now having to sign in for being late. She sighs, taking another drag from the cigarette after taking it back from Nam-ra. They both stand and she steps on the butt of it, putting it out and they make their way to class.

Both sneak back inside, going down the steps until they reach their floor. A few people wave and smile to Chin-sun, ones she returns kindly.

Naturally, the two were the first ones to enter the room since everyone else was taking their time talking to friends. Chin-sun takes her seat next to Nam-ra as the girls take out their books. Nam-ra uses this free time to review the notes she made from their assigned reading for homework. 

As the minutes go by, the room begins to fill with their classmates. From the corner of her eye, Chin-sun watches as On-jo throws a book bag at Cheong-san before going to sit with her best friend I-sak. Soon after her arrival, Su-hyeok came in and it made the Chin-sun question why they had come in so close together. Did she finally confess to the male?

She looked away from them, unaware of the eyes on her as she looked out the window. She wishes she could have spent more time outside in the nice sun and not in school. Maybe she could have taken the day off and spent it with her family getting mochi like they used to when she was young.

"Attention!" Ms. Park announces as she walks into the room and places her bag on her desk. "Hi there. Good morning."

"Morning." They all say back in unison. 

She smiles, opening up a bag. "Time to hand in your phones."

Everyone lets out a sigh but reluctantly gets up to turn them in. A few complain, Chin-sun included since she would rather be playing on her phone than reviewing a book she read last night.

She waits until a few people have sat back down before pushing her chair back and putting in her phone, only after turning off her sound. She goes to sit back down, scooting her chair in and opening her notebook. Nam-ra wasn't lying when she said Chin-sun was catching up, but they both know it would take Nam-ra failing something to pass her.

"Who's in touch with Hyeon-ju?" The teacher asks the class, looking up for anyone to answer. Chin-sun glanced to Nam-ra who just shrugged, neither one of them knowing. They have shared a cigarette with her once or twice before but other than that never spoke to the girl.

"Nobody?" She presses, many of the students shaking their head. "So none of you have tried calling her today?"

"Uh," Joon-yeong clears his throat, "we cleaned the science lab together yesterday, but I haven't seen her since."

"Okay." Ms. Park exhales in worry. "If anyone hears from her some time in the next few days let me know right away, okay?"

They all nod and so she moves on with the lesson. Chin-sun begins to tune everyone out, not like she had to really try. Nothing interesting ever happens in class and so she lets her mind wander. Sometimes she even creates scenarios in her head, situations like beating Na-yeon's ass. She thinks about fighting the annoying girl all the time. She is the only person that Chin-sun can truly not stand. 

After half an hour, the urge for another smoke enters her mind and seeing as she knows she will not miss anything, she decides to take it. Chin-sun raises her hand as Ms. Park calls on her. "Chin-sun?" All eyes move over to the long-dark haired girl.

"May I use the bathroom?" She asks, feeling the pack in her skirt pocket and lighter in her loose jacket. 

"Yes. After you answer my question." Ms. Park paces in front of the chalkboard with the question written on it.

"In some ways, we all have a sort of prejudice and preconceptions about other people." Chin-sun answers.

"Good. You can go." She points towards the door and Chin-sun does not wait another moment as she exits the room and heads to the bathroom on the bottom floor, the one that no one goes to. 

This bathroom is often used by those with the same interest she has right now, so there is a low chance of someone who would tell on her walking in. Most of those that come in are ones that skip and others alike. Chin-sun likes to think she is a little apart of every group so it would not be unusual for her to be seen here by someone like Mi-jin Park; someone who skips class all the time for a smoke.

"Hey." Speaking of her.

"Hi." Chin-sun joins her by window, going into the stall. Mi-jin sits and the other stands. Both of them light up their cancer sticks, letting it drag. "Do they even bother with your attendance?" she teases.

Mi-jin rolls her eyes as a chuckle leaves her lips. "Yeah, yeah. What about you, miss perfect? You usually don't skip for a smoke. Not enough time this morning?"

"Just boring English." She tells the girl who sits. "I have already read ahead with Nam-ra. To be there and relearn it is just...torture."

"You underclassmen." She shakes her head.

"You're only a year above." Chin-sun lightly kicks her shin.

Mi-jin pouts, narrowing her eyes. "Yeah, just wait until you're a senior. Then you'll see how much harder it is."

Chin-sun laughs, taking another drag. "I think you're just being dramatic, old ass."

"Old ass?!" Mi-jin stands with her eyes wide. "Jeez, you disrespectful little shit." She sighs, both laughing. "Don't you know you're suppose to respect your upperclassmen."

"I'll respect you when you start acting like it." Chin-sun retorts, purely teasing the girl because she likes how easy it is to anger the short one. "You could start with going to class."

The girl with short hair scoffs as if the thought is ridiculous. "I learn by example. You go."

"I am." Chin-sun tells her, throwing the cigarette in the toilet and spraying perfume on herself.

Mi-jin pouts once more at hearing she will be left to smoke alone. "Yeah, go to class. Listen to me about that."

Chin-sun laughs, stepping out of the stall. "See you." She waves before making her way back to class.