□■□■□Chapter 19□■□■□

We left that night, the others told us they had everything under control.

Hawk was still a bit skittish from the fire, but once we got home and fed him he seemed fine.

We unloaded our packs and settled in to sleep.

The next morning came quicker than I wanted.

"Coffee?"

"No thanks". I picked at my toast. Hunger hadn't found me yet this morning.

I put the toast back on my plate and stood, pushing my chair out behind me.

Keith had told me we have the day off so I could go visit my brother and friends.

I walked to my room and grabbed my white cloak. My ranger cloak was burned in the fire.

I pulled it over my shoulders and walked back out into the kitchen.

"Heading to the castle?" He asked me.

I nodded and slipped on my boots.

"Be back before supper".

"K" I said. I heard a sigh from Keith I walked out the door.

I made it down the steps without stumbling. And walked over to the horses.

I was greeted with a snort from both the horses.

"Hi guys" I spoke quietly.

I stroked Iris's mane and gave her an apple.

I felt Hawk nuzzle my arm. I turned to see him eyeing me with betrayal.

"Oh come on boy, you know I love you" I cooed. I gave him a sugar cube and opened the gate for him to come out.

I struggled a bit with putting on his tack, but I eventually figured it out.

I hopped up into the saddle. I squeezed my legs together and Hawk began to trot down the narrow trail through the trees.

Light filtered in and between the leaves of the trees, leaving the ground covered in dappled light.

Now that I was taking my time to see the woods, it wasn't scary like the first time I ventured in.

"Its pretty here" I spoke aloud.

"I knew you'd like it".

I blinked in surprise. "Did you just talk?" I asked Hawk.

"What? Me? No..."

I regarded the stocky horse with suspicion.

After a few minutes, we emerged into the same prairie which I rode with Harrison, the Courier who escorted me to the cabin a few days ago.

I had almost forgotten it was still winter. The yellow stubble was speckled with snow.

The Sun was out and shining. It was February, the snow would be melting in a few weeks.

I squeezed my knees and Hawk took off at a run.

The air was cold as it blew through my hair.

We soon reached the river, the draw bridge was still down, Hawks hooves made a dull sounds as we rode across.

Entering the courtyard, I was met by a stablehand who offered to take Hawk for me.

I nodded and slid off the saddle.

I patted Hawk's neck. "Go with him, I'll see you later". I then handed the stablehand Hawk's reigns.

"Thanks" I told him.