<----<<Chapter 25>>---->

The sun peaked through the clouds, lighting the village and road they were on.

I smelled smoke coming from one of the inns tucked away in the village.

Following behind Keith, we rode up to the smallest of the inns.

"We'll stay here for a night then move on towards the mountains in the morning" he spoke in hushed tones.

I watched him dismount, I quickly followed his lead. Tying the horses to the railing took no time. I gave Cliff a quick scratch behind the ear.

"Come on" said Keith.

I sighed and followed the Ranger into the inn.

The old door gave a loud creak, announcing our arrival to the inn keeper.

The inn keeper, he quickly came from a back room and flashed us a smile.

"Welcome to Jesper's inn" he said cheerily. He was a skinny man with pepper black hair.

We walked to the counter. The dimly lit room hid all the dust and cobwebs present in the room.

"How many nights and rooms?" The inn keeper asked.

"One night, do you have a room with two beds available?" Keith asked.

The man nodded.

"I believe we have one left, it'll be five gold coins" he said.

Keith nodded, he fished out the shiney coins and placed them on the table.

Five gold for this dinghy place was crazy.

"Do you need any stable accommodations?"

"Two" replied Keith. He eyed the the inn keeper. Would he make them pay more?

The inn keeper opened his mouth to speak, but closed it when I leisurely layed my hand on my sword.

His mouth closed immediately.

"E-enjoy your stay gentlemen" he said quickly.

Keith nodded and turned around to me.

"Go get the horses settled, I'll check out the room". I nodded. The inn keeper handed a key to Keith, and lead him up the stairs to the left of the check in counter.

I turned away and left the inn.

Our horses greeted me as I came out.

I quickly untied them and brought them around back where I assumed the stable was.

I saw a low building with about five stalls open to the air.

I lead them across the newly green grass and into their stalls.

I closed Cliffs stall and worked at taking off Iris's saddle and bridle. I did Cliffs soon after. I closed their gates and looked over my handy work.

"You ain't going anywhere" I told the two.

Iris snorted unimpressedly. I grinned and left the two horses and headed back to the inn.

                                                        ▪︎○●○▪︎

"Uhg". The clock in the room displayed 10:15.

"How long does it take to find an escort!" I asked nobody.

I had uncovered myself and moved to sit on the edge of the bed.

My legs dangled over the edge of the bed, at first I'd tried to swing them back and forth, but it hurt my wound too much.