5. Hidden Intentions

Roman stood watching the sunrise with a jug of water in his hand

Roman stood watching the sunrise with a jug of water in his hand. It wouldn't be long until he was back in Folina and with a woman in his protection. A grin overtook his face, recalling the girl with clever, fiery eyes and freckles that seductively splayed across her nose and cheeks.

She was something else entirely.

A truly unique breed of woman. Perhaps one of a kind. She was brazened, outspoken, and daring. Her features the kind that cause a man to pause and take notice.

When her sister had arrived in Folina, Ana Livingston barely had a speck of dust on her and looked prim and proper. Sera was nothing like that. How she could fool so many people with that pathetic guise baffled him. The moment he had seen her stroking Kuypang he knew she was a young woman. It was how her nose turned slightly up, those high cheekbones, and her full voluptuous mouth. His mind shifted back to how her sable hair had tumbled down her back like a rich flowing river.

Splashing some water into his hand, Roman cooled the back of his neck with it. Packing up the rest of his supplies, he waited for the small woman to wake up. He finished tying his saddlebag to Kuypang and at the thought of the stubborn girl who had tried to steal his horse, Roman chuckled. He had never met someone so desperate with hard-headed determination and bold nerves.

"I want you to save them."

Roman smiled. When those authoritative words had escaped her dry, cracked lips, he'd be lying if he said he wasn't filled with an acute curiosity for the young woman. There was no doubt about it, those audacious eyes, sharp tongue, and incredible wit, he wanted her and that need scourged through his entire being.

A stirring in the sand caught his attention, Sera stood in the doorway, using her hand to shield her eyes from the sun. She appeared in better spirits.

How this girl had fallen into his lap in the middle of the night was a mystery to him, but he would use it to his advantage. She had been right about him having a hidden intent.

Roman noted her tiny waist and last night when he had cleaned her wounds, her ribs were visible. She resembled scavenged dogs he would see throughout his travels. It was clear she was in desperate need of nutrition.

"When was the last time you ate? He asked.

The girl slid her hands down her stomach. "Last night, of course."

"Before then."

She rolled her eyes. "I was given half an apple by my travel companions."

Roman's hand froze over his saddle. "The ones you had me save?"

"The very ones."

He wanted to learn all her secrets and uncover the mysteries surrounding her. Sera, noticing his gaze, assessed him with daring eyes. "Is there something I can help you with, Monsieur Remington?"