26. To Marry or Not to Marry?

"Give us the room," Remington ordered, his gaze so full of heat, Sera swore it was branding her entire being

"Give us the room," Remington ordered, his gaze so full of heat, Sera swore it was branding her entire being. Everyone left swiftly August stopping and glaring at Roman. He said nothing but the two seemed to have a conversation with but a simple stare down.

As soon as the door clicked shut, Sera pushed Remington off her and practically growled like a rabid dog. Undeterred by her fury, Remington went over to the desk, grabbing a cigar and gliding it under his nose.

'Why do men do that?' she asked, annoyance laced in her tone.

"Because smelling a cigar leaves an impression and influences the taste. It's important to appraise it before smoking it."

Sera hated how her heart hammered, how an emergence of overwhelming pleasure stoked her as Remington's strong fingers expertly toyed with his lighter. Her thoughts swam with ideas of those skilled fingers biting into her flesh. Batting away the thoughts with quick blinking successions from her eyelids, Sera sucked in a rage filled breath.

"For the matter at hand, there is nothing to discuss," she hissed out. "Whatever my sister's ridiculous idea was, I will not be compliant to it."

The butt of the cigar glowed, the embers a vivid orange as Remington blew out a puff, staring at the thick cigar with admiration. The smokey, sweet aroma filled Sera's senses and it reminded her of old books. She found herself enjoying the flavor as the spices permeated in the air and Sera knew she would never forget the pleasant scent. She has smelled remnants before but never the close potency.

"I have no doubt in my ability to persuade you." When Remington's eyes moved to hers, Sera was momentarily stunned by the predatory shine gleaming in his endlessly dark gaze.

"Persuade me?" Sera did her best to rein in her anger, to keep her expression smooth. "Of what, exactly, sir, will you persuade me of?" she found herself asking.

Sera had an idea of what it could be, but it was so preposterous, so outlandishly laughable, she had to hear him say it.

With the stealth of a hungry carnivore, Remington simply stretched to his full height. The smoke flirted with his cheekbones, swirled around him as if it was the essence and force of his desire searing off his skin. "I hear you have a ridiculous notion about handing yourself over to the bushrangers."

"Yes, my sister must be protected, and I cannot live with the idea that I am the cause for torturing this town."

"Sorry, petite souris, but that's not happening." He held her with a tense stare, causing Sera's stomach to flutter with nerves. "You aren't leaving."

"And you think you can stop me?"

Remington disposed of his cigar and when he took that first stride toward her, Sera's throat swelled with anticipation. His footsteps echoed, the spurs of his boots ringing. Those fingers she had been admiring just moments ago curled, reaching out to her, then his knuckles lightly grazed along her collarbone.