7. Found You

Analise Livingston walked up the steps to the office of entrepreneur and cattle baron, August McCall

Analise Livingston walked up the steps to the office of entrepreneur and cattle baron, August McCall. The richest man in Northern Australia who owned a mass amount of land and was an esteemed businessman with a lot of power and influence.

She kept her grip gentle yet firm on Omeo, August McCall's son. Mr. McCall had once been married to a woman named Inala, who had an Aboriginal mother and white father. Nobody knows what happened to her, only that she existed. She had died before Mr. McCall had come here to build his empire with his infant son.

Ana feared him a little but straightened her posture as she entered the office building. She dragged a cursing Omeo over to Patrick Armstrong, Mr. McCall's righthand.

"What did he do this time, Miss Livingston?" The man asked without looking at her.

"I would like to speak to Mr. McCall about it, if you will, Mr. Armstrong," Ana addressed in a business-like tone.

Mr. Armstrong sat his writing utensil down and regarded her through his thick spectacles. "He is busy."

"Then we will wait."

Omeo tried yanking himself out of Ana's grip. "Father will have you fired for this."

"And what makes you think that, son?"

Omeo stiffened as everyone else turned to Mr. McCall. Ana's heartbeat quickened at the sight of him. She swallowed down her nerves at the formidable man before her. Since she had arrived here, Ana was perpetually anxious around him. He was the type that was bigger than life and exuberated power.

It was those big broad shoulders that seemed to make his shirts look like they were about to pop off him, and the fact that he was a bear compared to Ana's tall slender stature.

He wasn't characteristically handsome.

Today he appeared more rugged than usual, and his typically nicely starched linen shirt was slightly wrinkled with his shirt sleeves rolled up, revealing strong forearms. His collar was unbuttoned a few, his swarthy throat exposed and some masculine bits of hair appearing, making Ana take another swallow.

His black coffee eyes and strong brows looked tired, but he held an intelligence in them that intimidated Ana to her core. His deep russet hair was rumpled as if he had been pulling at it in frustration and she had an inkling to go up and fix it for him, but she remained planted.

Gathering her calm demeanor she started, "Mr. McCall, please excuse my intrusion, but there has been quite a predicament that I would like to speak with you about."

Ripping his arm from Ana's hold, Omeo pleaded with his father, "I have my reasons, father. She's just being—"

"I will be the judge." August's gruff voice sounded gravelly as if he had a long day. The big, muscular man motioned for Ana to enter his office as he pulled Omeo in. "Come, Miss Livingston."