19. Where Is He?

First to comment here gets a shoutout and dedication ❤️❤️❤️😘

Ana stumbled as she was harshly pulled, the rope yanking on her raw wrists where her skin had started to bleed and peel. Missing a step and faltering, the men surrounding her laughed. She was surrounded by them and at their mercy. The thought terrified her, but she remained calm as they dragged her toward the town.

"You think he as dangerous as they say? That the rumors about 'im are true?"

One of the guys scoffed. "It ain't true. Roman Remington is like the rest of us. A man. I bet you I aim my gun at him and shoot, he'd bleed from the bullet going through his gut and then die just like the rest of us."

Another chipped in, "Even if it's not true, if one of us kills him we'll be famous. I'm going to be the one to—"

Ana shrieked as blood exploded from the man's head, spraying chunks of brain in the air as fragments of skull riddled the sand. She shook, eyes wide, knowing she would never be able to unsee what she had just witnessed.

It would haunt her for the rest of her life.

The men whipped out their guns, but death was the only thing awaiting them as Ana found herself in the middle of a slaughter. She had always thought the tales that followed Roman Remington were rather exaggerated.

She had been wrong.

Ana fell to the ground, putting her bonded hands over her head, digging into her bloodied hair, whimpering as shots rang out. As they faded, she glanced up and saw Remington striding from his hiding spot with Mr. McCall following close behind, a shot gun in his hands.

"Still not showing his face I see," Remington remarked, glancing around for any more men.

Ana swallowed and stood, her legs weak and shaky as Mr. McCall started heading for her, causing Ana to shout, "Omeo's safe. All the kids are safe, I promise!"

He went rigid, stopping abruptly, raising his gun as the man who had smoked the cigar wrapped a strong arm tightly around Ana's neck, closing off her airway as she clawed at his forearm. A cold metal pressed into her hair as the man breathed raggedly and Ana knew he had been struck. "Well, looks like this pretty little thing tricked us. Looks like she purposely took that beating. Now don't make her sacrifice worth nothin' by forcing me to shoot her. Lower your weapons. Yes, that's it."

Ana couldn't look away from Mr. McCall. His face was losing color and his nostrils flared as his dark eyes were wide with horror. If a man could kill someone with one look this man would be dead right now.

"Good. Now I'm going to—" A harsh ear cringing sound met Ana's ears. Warm liquid sprayed, striking her skin on the side of her face, some of it sprinkling in her screaming mouth causing an iron taste to hit her tongue. The man loosened his hold and gurgled as if choking on water. She turned and saw a knife sticking out of his neck.