36. Don't Be the End

Roman pulled Kuypang to a stop at the sight of the small, exhausted body stumbling about on the harsh ground

Roman pulled Kuypang to a stop at the sight of the small, exhausted body stumbling about on the harsh ground. "Omeo!" He turned in his saddle, yelling, "August!"

Jumping off and running to his nephew, Roman gripped Omeo's shoulders and dropped to his knees. His gaze found his nephews, who had tears streaming down his face with his eyes red and raw. "I'm so sorry Uncle Rom. I tried to save her."

"Hey," Roman hugged his nephew hard, his hand cupping the young boy's head as he cried. "You did great. the marbles were a brilliant idea. We will get her back."

The sound of horse hooves beating the ground caused Omeo to rip away from Roman. August pulled his horse's reins back and dropped to the ground as Ana slid off after him. Omeo ran toward his father, but both men were surprised when he rushed past him and collided with Ana.

She wrapped her arms around him in an instant and tears slid down her cheeks as she glided her hand over his hair. "It's okay. You did your best. You are so brave."

He pulled away staring at her with a pained expression. 'You shouldn't be here. You can get hurt or killed."

"I'm going to be fine," Ana consoled him. "You dad and Remington will keep me safe. I have to find my sister. Is she okay, Omeo?"

He sniffed, his arm wiping over his eyes. "She's alive, but, but she shot herself in the foot to save me. She's hurt really badly, and she said not go after her and she wanted me to tell you she loves you." He turned to Roman. "She said to let her go."

Ana's mouth slightly opened, breath leaving her at Omeo's words. Roman knelt in front of his nephew. "Do you remember what way you came?"

New tears welled up in Omeo's eyes. "I'm sorry, Uncle Rom, I tried doing what you taught me, but everything looked the same and it's so dark."

Roman put his hand on his nephew's head, his forehead colliding with his. "You did good, kid. I've got it from here."

Standing, he strode to Kuypang. "She told me to tell you she--."

"Stop," Roman interrupted, "she can tell me herself when I get her back."

Omeo stood next to Ana who had him wrapped securely in a motherly hold. "What now?"

"You three go back," Roman ordered.

Ana shook her head. "No, I am not abandoning my sister."

August brushed passed Roman, kissing his son's head then turning his attention to Ana, his hand coming up to cup her cheek. "You're coming back with me."

She slapped his hand away. "No. None of you are listening to me! I will help find my sister."

"It's too dangerous, Ana," August stated, his voice growing harsh. "Roman, will get her back. I have no doubt about it."

"She is my sister. I am not as weak as you all think. She needs me."

August had, had enough and yelled, "She needs Roman! Not you!"