23. You Have Poor Taste

A splinter of sharp light broke through the darkness and Sera's memory that had been wrapped in an unsettling nightmare was finally over

A splinter of sharp light broke through the darkness and Sera's memory that had been wrapped in an unsettling nightmare was finally over. She found herself lying in her bed, sweaty, but no longer feverish. Letting her cheek rest against the pillow, dim light spilled on her face, warming her with its gentle, amber glow. Wind creaked and outside was so very dark.

Blinking, Sera tried sitting up but a hand on her shoulder stopped her. Her eyes trained on the beautifully bronzed forearms as Remington leaned over her.

"Don't move, little one."

Sera's nose twitched. "Stop calling me little one. You make me sound like a child. I actually prefer little mouse."

Sera's eyes clashed with Remington's startling black ones, but there was a warmth in them she hadn't seen before. Probably from the candle's fragrant glow, catching then expelling the usual iciness in his eyes.

His shirt sleeves were rolled up, collar unbuttoned and exposing his swarthy throat, tough curls of dark hair peeked out from his chest. His usually well-trimmed beard was heavy with long, uneven bristles and his face wore with a deep exhaustion. Yet, his eyes shown with pride. "How are you feeling?"

"Like the bones in my body have been replaced with heavy rocks and my side aches." Sera relaxed into the bed, not wanting to exert herself. "I almost died, didn't I?"

"Yes," Remington answered with a straightforwardness that caused her to grin a little.

It faltered when his thumb and forefinger gently pinched her chin. The calloused pad of his thumb coaxed her mouth to open a little as he stroked the tiny divot in her chin.

Thickly, Sera asked, "You took care of me?"

Remington's touch moved to her cheek, sailing across her sun-freckled skin, riding over the bridge of her nose, then gliding down to her other cheek. "The doctor was the reason you almost died. I had no choice but to step in. Instead of treating your infection, he was trying to drain it, which was killing you."

Glancing down, Sera panicked and grabbed at the sheets, bringing them over her body. Her chemise was practically transparent, and she was exposed to Remington once again. Except this time, she wasn't a scrawny little twig dressed as a boy. No, she was plump with heavy breasts that were visible through her chemise.

"Where is my sister?"

With a gentle attentiveness, Remington tucked the blanket around her, conserving her desire to have some dignity. He stood up once she was better settled, turning away from her, and began cleaning up some things around the small cottage. "She was here the whole time until an hour ago. She was tired and needed rest." He glanced over to the corner where Ana was huddled with a blanket draped over her, head resting against the wall as her chest rose and fell in deep sleep. "She is stronger than I gave her credit for."