34. Slip Away

With shaky hands, Lydia lowered the gun as her husband dropped to the ground dead

With shaky hands, Lydia lowered the gun as her husband dropped to the ground dead. Her vivid blue eyes glanced over at Roman, but he had no time to waste on gratitude. Grabbing his revolvers, he aimed for the men taking off on horseback. Shots were fired and Roman's shoulder jerked back as if he'd been punched. He managed to take down two, but neither had Sera.

Roman watched the men vanish from his sight, his wife in their clutches. Swiftly, he turned on his heel and started for his place to get Kuypang and supplies.

He was going after her.

"Where's Omeo? He was with you," he asked Lydia, passing by her and checking his shoulder.

Lydia was crouched down, her hand smoothing over her husband's thin hair that was caked in blood. "I told him to go get August."

He couldn't feel any pain, just a burning sensation, but when Roman pulled his hand away from his shoulder-- it was covered in blood. He didn't care. Nothing was stopping him from getting to Sera.

"Remington! You need to see the doctor," Lydia exclaimed, hot tears streaming down her face as she got up and quickened her pace to get ahead of Roman.

"No. I have to get her back," he replied, pushing Lydia back and away from him.

"She means that much to you?" Lydia shouted, giving up on pursuing him any further. "You will bleed out before you can save her. You once told me you don't love anyone and that you couldn't be with any woman. Yet you go this far for this one who acts like a child! A woman so plain and unappealing! A woman—"

"Enough!" Roman roared, spinning on his heel and striding over to Lydia, anger fueling his steps. "You will stop insulting my wife. I married her because I desire her, her beauty, her character, her fire. Every other woman I met before her, including you, have bored me senseless, but everything about Sera Livingston magnetizes me to her. My heart only hurts for her."

"I put a bullet through my husband's skull for you! What more do I have to do to gain your affection?" Lydia shrieked. "You owe me your life, Roman Remington!"

Roman stared Lydia down with cold eyes and a numb expression, yet a fire roared in his chest and tumbled out of his mouth. "Why do people do that?"

Lydia was panting, brow lowering as she asked, "Do what?"

"Do something for someone then immediately hold it over their heads. I did not ask you to shoot your husband dead. You did that yourself. Now leave me. I have to go get my wife."

"Do you love her?" came Lydia's final question.

Roman strode away, his answer falling from assured lips. "Yes."

His footsteps became quick until Roman broke out into a sprint for his home. Another figure came running beside him, August's steps mirroring Roman's. "The one thing I agree with Lydia on is that you need to get your shoulder fixed before going out there."