30. Once

"Yes

"Yes."

Sera removed herself from Remington. Shocked by the insane jealousy snaking through her and how much his answer hurt her heart. She wanted to be the only one who conquered his heart, but it had already been done.

"What was she like?" She found herself asking.

"Frail yet bold." He leaned over, elbows resting on his knees as his hands laced together and hid his mouth. "She wasn't afraid of anything. She was one of the most beautiful creatures that walked this earth."

Turning away from him, Sera's mouth twisted in disdain. "Was?"

"She's dead now."

"What happened to her?"

There was whining from the chair he was sitting on, followed by it knocking against the exterior of the house. His bronzed, scarred hands came into view. The muscles flexed as he gripped the railing and pinned her between his strong forearms with his shirt sleeves pushed up. The light from her candle made the x-mark-shaped scars on his hand shine in a silvered glow. His lips brushed the tip of Sera's ear. "Some say she was cursed for falling in love with the wrong man."

"You?"

"No, petite souris."

"So, your love was unrequited."

His chest vibrated against her back as Remington stepped into her person, completely engulfing her tiny form in his large, solid one. "That it was."

Staring out into the open desert where the sun began to touch the sand turning it a bold orange, Sera laughed in disbelief. She turned in his hold, hand resting on his chest. Her fingers brushed against the stiff hairs on his chest and Sera just now noticed how his shirt had been fully unbuttoned, displaying his broad muscular chest.

Roman Remington was a man in his prime and so beautifully carved with sun-kissed skin. Sera couldn't stop herself from admiring his masculinity. Her fingers threaded through the coarse hairs as her touch descended to the taut abdomen with all its ridges and valleys.

"Sera." His husky voice warned.

This was the first time Sera touched a man so intimately and something about it, and the way Remington's voice tightened, made it empowering. "I have a hard time believing any woman wouldn't return your affection."

"Sera." He tried again. His voice strained.

She moved her hand back up. The tips of her fingers overly sensitive, as if falling in love with the bristled hairs and tight skin underneath rippling muscles. Sera's breath halted when he snatched her wrist. She locked eyes with him. His mouth pressed into an even harder line than before. A lock of silky black hair fell in front of his face, and she moved to push it aside.

"Don't," he demanded.

She refused to retreat and smirked. "Didn't I tell you I was not obedient by nature?" The skin of his forehead was beaded with light sweat despite the cool night and Sera's fingers touched a drop, wiping it away. "Was her beauty explainable?"