Chapter 22- In Sickness and in Health

Severus grew more nervous everyday, as pink blossom started to form on the trees. The sixteenth of April was fast approaching, and he had yet to buy a ring, organise a setting or do anything. He was panicking, he didn't know where to start.

Albus summoned him to his office in the morning, and gestured to the chair opposite his desk.

"Now Severus, have you decided how you are going to propose to Julia?" Albus asked, resting his chin on his palms, his elbows on the mahogany table.

Severus squirmed uncomfortably in his seat, like a student being reprimanded for setting off a dungbomb in the classroom. He shook his head.

Albus rolled his eyes, a small smile on his face.

"I knew you would say that. Can you all come out please?" He called behind him.

Minerva, Filius, Pomona and Lockhart all stepped out from behind the pillars on either side of the desk. They all wore large grins, except for Lockhart, who looked like he'd rather be fighting a Chinese Fireball.

"What is that imbecile doing here?" Severus glared pointedly at the blond man.

"Believe you me, Professor, I would rather not be here. My presence was requested by the Headmaster, and as he so graciously gave me access to this wonderful institution, I felt obliged to accept."

"I'm surprised you haven't stabbed yourself with that stupid quill of yours!" Severus mumbled under his breath. Unfortunately, Lockhart's hearing was sharper than he thought.

"Coming from the man moronic enough to blindly follow You-Know-Who-"

"That is enough!" Albus bellowed, eyes twinkling with barely concealed rage. "This is a place of peace, we do not speak of such matters here."

Lockhart nodded meekly in submission, and stepped back into the shadows.

"I believe some preparation is in order. How do you want to do it, Severus?" Minerva tactfully redirected the meeting, attention fully on the dark wizard.

"I don't really mind, I just want it to be special."

The female teachers exchanged a knowing smile, to which Severus rolled his eyes.

"Honestly, women, a man says something remotely romantic, and you go all gooey-eyed." Minerva and Pomona bit back a grin.

"It's just a change, Severus. We used to know you as a right snarky git!" Pomona giggled, like a schoolgirl.

"But anyway, I believe that I should do it on her birthday, maybe have a feast? I believe that it is the same as Merlin's date of birth so we'd have an excuse?" Severus suggested, wringing his hands behind his hands as not to show weakness in front of his colleagues.

"A marvellous idea. We shall arrange that, whilst you and Albus purchase a ring suitable for such a deserving woman." Minerva clasped her hands to her heart, excited by the challenge.

"She is deserving indeed. Why do you think I'm risking so much to do this?"

Albus apparated him away before he could hear a response.

~~~~

The day before Julia's birthday was a confusing one for her. For one, the female half of the Hogwarts staff refused her entry to the Great Hall. She couldn't understand the looks that were exchanged as they ushered her towards the Grand Staircase and sent her on her way. She made a note to ask Severus about their suspicious behaviour when she saw him next.

But to her surprise, she couldn't find him anywhere. She searched his classroom, his office, and the chambers they shared to no avail. Disheartened, she made her way back up to to Great Hall, being the only place he could be that she hadn't searched.