Chapter 8- Questions and a Song

Julia was only just coming out of her stupor when her first class came in. When everybody had settled down, she began to speak.

"Good morning everyone, my name is Professor Evermore and I am your new Muggle Studies teacher."

A Gryffindor boy put up his hand.

"Yes, Mister..." she acknowledged her new student.

"Greene. Benjamin Greene. What are we learning about today, Professor?" He asked eagerly.

"Today, Mister Greene, we shall be learning about why Muggles rely on electricity. Now, having lived with a Muggle for four years, I have seen how big a part it plays in their lives. Electricity is a power source that Muggles use for light, cooking and other everyday tasks. Electricity is like magic to them, they are dependent on it."

A Slytherin girl raised her her hand.

"Professor, why did you live with a Muggle? Why didn't you stay with your own kind?"

"It's that kind of attitude that I dislike. Just because we are different, does not mean we cannot interact. I lived with him because when I was twenty one, I decided to live as a Muggle for a few years."

"Why?" The girl asked.

"I would prefer not to answer that, thank you. Now, electricity!"

The lesson continued without any further interruptions or unwanted questions.

Julia had the good sense not to mention taking time off from magic in her other classes, as she didn't want any questions from people like that Slytherin girl.

She met up with Severus for lunch, in her rooms. They were discussing their classes, and Julia mentioned the curious girl.

"What did she ask you?"

"She asked me why I lived with a Muggle, why I didn't stay with my 'own kind.' Obnoxious brat." She muttered angrily.

"If you don't mind me prying, why did you live with him? You obviously didn't like him." Severus sat forward in his arm chair.

"Well, he was the set designer in the first musical I performed in. He was so sweet, and he walked me home to my flat every night after work. Then, my block of flats was demolished and he let me stay with him. We began a relationship and slowly became possessive. I couldn't leave as I had nowhere else to go. He hurt me, Sev. That's why I applied for this post, I couldn't take it anymore."

"He hurt you? It's a good thing I Obliviated him otherwise I would kill the-" Severus looked angry, and also hurt, as if he felt her pain.

"Sev! Language!" Julia reprimanded him.

"I didn't even say anything!" He replied indignantly.

"Well, you were going to."

"What did he do to you?" He got up and sat down next to Julia on the sofa. He hesitantly put an arm around her.

"He never laid a hand on me, he hurt me emotionally. He would break my records, tear up my scripts and he told me that I would never be loved, who wants damaged goods? It's because after I moved in with him, he started drinking more and more, until he was almost never sober."

"Damaged goods? He mustn't have been sober when he said that, you are anything but. You never let what happened to you get you down, only when you think no one can see you. You always help other people, despite what you are going through. And I love you for that." Realising his mistake, Severus added, "Everyone needs a friend like you, and I'm very glad you're mine."

"Thanks, Sev." She said mutely.

"And that reminds me, Albus asked me to tell you that this Christmas, there will be a ball and he wants you and some students to sing in it. Heaven knows why he wants me to tell you now, it's still September!"