Chapter 1- Job Interviews

"Sev? What the hell are you doing here? I'm waiting for a job interview!"

"Lee? I'm here to interview you. I can't believe its really you! I thought you were going to live as a Muggle!"

"I did, and now I'm back in the wizarding world, baby!" Severus raised an eyebrow. "Oh God, I'm never saying that again!"

"Well, anyway, I can see why Albus sent me here."

"Albus? Are you freaking kidding me? You're on first name terms with our Headmaster?"

"You will be too if you get the job. You are doing a fine job of imitating a muggle, you would be perfect." He drawled sarcastically.

"Come in, Sev."

It was only then that he realised that he was still standing in the door frame.

"Sit down."

He conducted the interview and was impressed with her knowledge. Severus would have recommended her whether she was good or not. Hopefully, the students should have a competent teacher this year.

Observing Julia, he noticed she had grown up considerably. Her once mousy brown hair was now darker, although her body was the same as it was before...

Stop it, Severus, you came to interview her, not look at her physique.

"You keep a lovely home, Julia, it's a wonderful flat," Severus remarked, looking anywhere but at her.

"Thank you. I live here with my boyfriend, but he's away on business at the moment."

"You have a boyfriend?" Severus asked, hoping she wouldn't notice the glimmer of sadness in his eyes.

"I should really say ex-boyfriend, if I get the job, I'm leaving him."

"Why?"

"None of your beeswax, Nosy!" She said, playfully hitting his arm. He retracted it in mock hurt.

"So, how has life been as a muggle?"

"Oh, good! I've been performing in the theatre, I'm being paid good money and the food there is great!" Julia gushed.

"Oh yes, I forgot, the way to your heart is through your stomach, as ever. I'm glad muggle life is suiting you well. What made you decide to apply for the post? Leave all this behind?"

"No reason, in particular, I just thought it was time to come back." She said, a bit too quickly. 

"Alright. When can you start?"

"Wait, you mean I've got the job? Don't you have to talk to Professor Dumbledore first?"

"I recorded the interview using a spell he devised, and he used a sort of telepathy to tell me you are the best candidate he has seen so far. The job is yours. When can you start?" Severus drawled.

"Erm, whenever you need me, I guess!" Julia was ecstatic. "Let me just call my boyfriend."

"I trust you didn't tell him about magic," Severus asked warningly.

"No, I'm not an idiot! I said I had an audition for a show in New York and I would be moving there immediately if I got it." Julia said like it was the most obvious thing in the world.

"Good plan. Would you like me to pack your things?"

"Um, sure, if you wouldn't mind. Thanks." She said sheepishly. "Just bung it all in."

Severus retreated into her room to collect her belongings. Whilst he was doing so, he listened to her phone call. He could multitask.

"Hey Jonah, I got the job! Yeah, I'm flying out tonight. No, no, no, you don't have to come and see me off, I'm going now. Right now. I'll ring you when I get there, okay? I promise. Yep, I'll see you soon Jo. Bye, love you too."

For some reason, those last three words gave Severus a pain in his chest.

She hung up and made her way towards the bedroom. Severus quickly ran towards the bed where the suitcase was so it didn't look like he was eavesdropping.

"I can take it from here, Sev." She said, blushing as he reached the drawer containing her undergarments. Severus was equally embarrassed.

"Yes, um, okay." He muttered as he made to leave. Julia walked over but tripped on a shoe, sending her crashing into Severus, making them both fall on the bed.

"Oh God, I'm so sorry." She said, hastily getting up.

"It's fine." If Julia hadn't noticed his blushing before, she couldn't ignore it now. He was the colour of a fire engine. "I'll just, um, be outside."

Severus ran out. He wouldn't be able to live that down and he had a feeling she wouldn't let him forget it for a while.

While he was waiting, he sat down at the piano and played one of the pieces Julia had taught him at school.

He didn't notice her standing behind him until he had finished.

"That's sounding really good, Sev! I miss our lessons," Julia smiled.

"As do I, I enjoyed spending time with you. Oh, that came out wrong..."

The colour that had only just left his pallid cheeks returned again. Julia laughed.

"It's fine, Sev. I know what you meant. Anyway, I've finished packing so should we go now or..."

"Yes, I think we should leave now. How did your 'ex' boyfriend react when he found out you were leaving?" He said, surrounding 'ex' with quotation marks. He turned off the lights.

"He wanted to come to the airport with me. He's in Birmingham though, so he shouldn't get here in time for my 'flight'."

There was a knock at the door.

"Babe, surprise! I can drop you to the airport after all!" Jonah's voice called from the other side.

"Oh my God... What the hell are we gonna do? He can't see you Sev, he'll think I'm cheating on him! He'll  be so mad..." Julia whispered, wringing her hands.

Severus was now shrinking all of her possessions and putting them into a bag. He held out his arm.

"I've packed everything so we can leave now." He said softly.

"Jonah won't see us, will he?" She asked, panicked.

"We're Apparating, dearest; we can go from in here and that dunderhead," gesturing to the door, "will think you have already left."

She nodded and Severus apparated with Julia and her luggage in tow.