Prologue

Knocking on Severus' door, Julia patiently waited for him or his mother to open it. She knew his father wasn't home.

Eileen Snape answered, beamed and invited her inside, Severus was eating. Going into the dining room, the young boy saw his friend, hopped up from the table and hugged her tightly.

"Are we still going to see Lily today?"

"Of course, in the park, right?" He perked up at the thought of seeing his other best friend.

"Yeah, but I don't think Petunia will be there, I saw her going out with some of her lot."

"Muggles?"

"Well, that's what she calls us. 'Our lot.' I don't like it."

"She won't be there. Just me, you and Lily, and we'll all be going to Hogwarts in September, just you wait!" Severus said, with a glimmer of excitement in his dark eyes.

Julia grabbed his hand after he had finished his sandwich and they ran to the park. Lily was lying on the grass, looking up at the sky. This is what they always did; Severus lying in between Lily and Julia, watching time go by.

All three of them had received their Hogwarts letter, and Severus enjoyed nothing more than telling the girls about the four houses, lessons and Quidditch. Hogwarts seemed to be the only thing, apart from his friends, that could make him smile.

~~~~~~~~~

Julia was sitting with Severus and Lily on the train for the very first time, and none of them could contain their excitement.

They were chattering away, ignoring the two boys that burst into their compartment. They sat down and began talking about all the fun they would have when they were sorted into Gryffindor. Severus smirked to himself about their comments, thinking that their brash personalities would suit the house perfectly.

"What are you laughing at?" The boy with glasses asked abruptly, shifting forward in his seat.

"You know Gryffindor is the place where they put reckless, thick people, right? Doesn't matter in your case, you'll fit in just fine."

The other boy shot up so quickly that his wand was at Severus' throat before the girls even noticed the movement. Severus remained impassive and made no move to retaliate.

"Point proven. Now, kindly lower your wand before you get yourself expelled," he said calmly, though inside his rage was simmering.

It was enough to make Julia roughly bundle them out of their compartment.

They were embarrassed, but still shouted: "See you around Snivellus!"

Julia slapped them both and they ran away. Severus was very subdued after that, even with his friends comforting him.

"They were wrong, Sev," Julia began, "you do have brains, you are the smartest person I know."

"She's right, who else have you met your age that can do so many spells already?" Lily piped up.

"No one," Severus mumbled. Trying to make the young boy feel good about himself was a regular occurrence, his self-esteem was so low.

"Well, there you go then. That idiot has no idea what he's talking about so just ignore him." Lily comforted Severus.

The two girls hugged their friend from either side, causing him to form a rare smile.

"I'm lucky to have friends like you. You two are the only ones who care about me." He said softly.

"And we're lucky to have you, aren't we Lily?"

"Of course Julia."

There was a long pause.