2

Adriana

"Hey, hot-stuff."

"Well if it isn't the man himself. What's up Ethan?"

"Since I'm suspended, dad's making me get my community hours," he huffs, "any papers you need me to shred?"

I look around my desk, "No. Thank you though," I smile

"No problem, hot-stuff," he holds up his thumb before walking off. I chuckle, shaking my head, that kid is something else.

I've been at this job for a week already. Everyone's so welcoming and friendly— except Freddy— it's already feeling like home. Everyone's close and trust each other.

I've gotten close with Damien. After our talk on my first day it seems as though he trusts me.

It shocked me to know that we're ten years apart in age. He's very young looking, besides the few greys in his hair.

Bright green eyes, dark brown hair, tall build. Our uniforms are bulky, thanks to the vests, but when I saw Damien one evening after shift, without his uniform, I really saw how broad and lean he is.

It's easy to tell he works out often. Muscles, broad chest. He has calluses' on his hands which indicates he weight-lifts.

Maybe I have a crush on my boss... but we don't talk about it.

"Alright, I'm back. I finished what I needed to do," Ethan walks back into my office and sits down in the chair on the other side of my desk.

"Welcome to my boring office," I mumble as I sign a paper.

We sit in silence for a bit while I fill out papers. Once I'm finished I look up at the 15-year-old who's looking around.

"You know... If you're uncomfortable with me calling you 'hot-stuff' tell me. It's kind of rude now that I think about it," Ethan furrows his eyebrows

"It's fine. But if your dad asks you to stop, maybe listen," I answer

"Definitely. That man is scary," he says with wide-eyes and we both chuckle

"This is where you are," Damien stands at the frame of my doorway.

"Yeah. Me and Adriana are best friends now. I'm thinking of getting a sign to put up in here that says 'Ethan is the best'" Ethan says making a frame with his hand, "When's your birthday, hot-stuff?"

Damien pinches the bridge of his nose, "June 1st," I answer

"Go find something to organize. Lauren will have something for you," Damien tells his son

"Fine, buzzkill. See you later, Adriana. Don't miss me," Ethan gets up dramatically before stomping out the room.

Damien walks in, replacing the spot that was just occupied by his son.

"He's warming up to you faster than he has with anyone."

"Is that a good thing?" I ask

"Yes it is. It took him 6 months to say two full sentences to anyone," he nods his head "He was diagnosed with selective mutism, but has been going to therapy."

I blink in shock. Ethan's super outgoing.

"What time are you done?" He then asks

"4," I groan, moving to a next set of files.

"4 to 4. Tough," He lightly chuckles

I glare at him, "Asshole."

"This asshole was about to ask if you wanted a coffee, but never mind," Damien gets up with a smirk