Chapter Five

aliyah in mm

~Aliyah's POV

"It's Roc." The sentence stuns me.

After four years of fame and fortune, they finally decide to reconnect. As much as I should feel happy to know that Kaylan still crosses Roc's mind, I'm angry that it took this long and that this is Kaylan's reaction. She's strong, I know she is. So why is she crying over a guy that left her for FOUR years over a recording contract and some gold chains?

My anger takes over and without thinking, I hit the 'End Call' button. He does not deserve her. None of them deserve any of us.

Just to be sure, I turn my phone on and check to see if any of them might've called me, which is unlikely, I've switched my number 3 times since they left. The only missed calls are from Sandy, but I ignore them. She's new, so she's probably just calling to ask where the stapler is or something.

"What did you just do?" Kaylan asks, once she's recollected herself and realizes that I ended their over-the-phone reunion.

"Saved you from a catastrophe. Let's go." I ask for the check, pay the bill, and we're gone in less than 10 minutes.

In the car, Kay is silent. I know she has over a million thoughts running through her head, but Roc went about that the wrong way. You don't just call somebody who's heart you stepped on after becoming the 'next big thing'.

I'm interrupted by my phone's ringtone. Kaylan fishes for it in my bag and hands it to me. I read the caller I.D.

Sandy

"Hello?" I answer.

"Miss Johnson, you need to get down here now. It's an emergency."

"The stapler is on the left-hand side of my desk, in front of my computer screen right next to the tape. It's literally in plain sight." I sigh.

"No, it's not that... it's Don." Oh no.

Donald Deveux, or Don, is my boss at Capitol. He's one of the top producers worldwide. It's an honor to work with him, but he's a real stickler about tiny things.

"What happened?"

"You just really need to get here...soon." I click off the phone and make a U-turn, heading to Capitol.

"Where are we going?" Kaylan asks, looking out of the window.

"I gotta stop at work for a minute." The rest of the ride is silent. You could say it was the calm before the storm.

I park and run into the building. Well, not really run. I'm wearing heels. More like a moderate power walk.

I show the security guard my Capitol Records I.D card and he lets me in. At this point I'm not sure where Kaylan is but she's not my concern right now. As I make my way to Don's office, I pass by two security guards escorting a young lady and two possible managers out. I assume she just signed with Capitol and continue on my way to Don's.

"Miss Johnson!" I hear Sandy's soft voice yell after me. I turn my head back, not stopping for her to catch up.

"What's going on?" I ask once she's close enough so she doesn't have to yell.

"Well... you know how you sort of went AWOL yesterday?" I scrunch my eyebrows in confusion.

"I was not AWOL, I signed out." I reply.

"No... you didn't." I stop in my tracks. Damn it. Don's going to bitch at me forever. I roll my eyes at the thought.

"Okay. Why did you make that sound so urgent?" I swear, this girl is timid but so melodramatic.