Chapter Twenty-Three

baby daddy in mm❤️

~Jacob's POV

"That'll be $4.00 flat." I announced to one of several teenage girl customers that have bought from Al's booth today. She flashed me a flirty smile before digging in her wallet and pulling out a five. I exchange her money for a bag of bell peppers and hand them to her along with her change.

"Thank you." I smile, to which she returns a sultry wink. "No, thank you." She practically purrs, causing me to roll my eyes behind my shades as she walks away. It's been the same with each girl that's come to "shop" at Al's booth-- all 254 of them so far. I don't mind, it gives Al great business, and as long as he's financially secure and able to provide for his family, I'm fine with coming in every Saturday for the past three weeks and volunteering, or posing for a picture with fans as long as they bought something. Plus the press of me volunteering has been taking the sting off of Mindless Behavior's name with everything that's being going on with us leaving Atlantic and Prodigy's "scandal".

"Thanks again for doing this man, I've been livin' check-to-check since ya' pops laid me off." Al sighed, giving me dap as he took his apron off and began to pack up and close up for the day.

"It's no problem. Really. I'm just glad to see you back on your feet." As I helped him put things back in his truck, i felt my phone vibrate in my pocket. I take it out and type my pass-code in to read a series of texts from Ray Ray.

Ray Ray: YO

Ray Ray: LET'S GET INTO SOME SHIT BRUH I'M BORED

Ray Ray: ANSWER ME BITCH

I chuckled at his excitement and typed my reply.

You're so fucking extra. But shit, what you tryna do?

Ray Ray: IDK, hit the club or somethin. And tell Prod!

Bet. See you soon. I answered, and slid my phone back in my pocket before saying goodbye to Al and heading to my car. I reminded myself to invite Tara as well once I got home since I haven't linked up with her in a while. A certain strumming of a guitar complimented by a familiar voice singing along to what sounded like Bruno Mars' If I Knew reached my ears. I looked towards where it was coming from, and recognized the same guy I'd given ten dollars to a few weeks back.

I made my way over to him and dug around in my pocket, pulling out a crumpled twenty and laying it in his guitar case. He was wearing the same dingy clothes from the first time I'd seen him, and his head stayed down as he sang, as if he was afraid to be confident in his voice. I don't know why, but something was different about him. It was obvious he was talented as hell, and if the right person took a chance on him, his whole life could change.

I waited for him to finish his song, but I think he cut it short once he noticed I was waiting to get his attention.

"Hey," I said. "You're really good, like forreal."

"T-thank you." He timidly nodded, reaching down to collect the money he'd received from his guitar case.

"You uh, you're pretty serious about singing?" He stopped and looked up at me with a confused expression.

"Well, y-yeah. It's kind of how I help my family with bills and s-stuff." He stammered. "Uh, who are you?"

"My name's Jacob. I uh...I know some people that could really get you started on this singing thing if you-" I was suddenly interrupted by a girl beginning to pull him away. She gave me a cold stare as she hurriedly stole the boy from our conversation. She had short black hair tamed with a headband, and she shared the same complexion as he did, so I assumed they were related.