Chapter 34

My heavy eyelids crack open slightly and I try to focus my vision. My head feels light and fuzzy; my body aches. After a few corresponding blinks, I'm finally able to adjust to the brilliant early morning sun rays. I first notice the room, a hospital room. This leads me to notice the tubes running through me and the large, framed bed I'm in. Thirdly, and most happily, I notice Damon resting against my bed, sound asleep. He's sitting in a chair that he must've pulled up next to me; he has his arms crossed and his head lying on top of them, face down. I can't see his face, but I would recognize that mop of hair anywhere. His body moves peacefully up and down, following the rhythm of his heavy breathing. After noticing him, I finally notice everyone else in the room, all sound asleep as well. It must be very early. I look at the clock on the wall in front of me: 6:15. My mom is snuggled up onto a plush chair to my left, full-on fetal position. On the couch next to her, Rachel and Quentin are lying on opposite ends attempting to share one blanket. It looks as though there had been a struggle last night, but Rachel won per her whole body being covered by fabric and only half of Quentin's is. I giggle but stop almost immediately; the pain is a little overbearing.

I hear a door silently slide open to my right. I watch as Damon's parents creep inside, trying to be as quiet as they can. Derrick is busy balancing a carton holding four coffee cups while trying to shut the door; Cassie is laying her purse down on a table near the wall. Derrick walks to her side and pinches her waist. She lets out an "Ow!" while he shushes her with his pointer finger to his lips. He's obviously messing with her, and he cracks a smile to prove it; Cassie simply smacks him across his shoulder and starts walking towards me. Her smile fades as fast as mine grows when she sees me. She's standing still while her mouth morphs from an "o" to a cheery smile.

"You're awake, Scarlett!" she yells.

Damon is the first to react. The top-half of his body shoots up so fast I hardly catch it happen. His eyes are alert and staring straight into mine, but he doesn't say anything. He just watches me intently, as if trying to soak in as much of me as he can.

Damon: the human sponge.

I giggle at that too, but once again I wince and stop from the resounding pain. Damon notices and drops his gaze to my body. His eyes fill with emotion-remorse, possibly-before his gaze trails back to mine. He swiftly rises to his feet, still not saying a word, and places his hands against the matress on either side of my body. He waists no time leaning in and placing a needing kiss against my mouth. My eyes are wide and refuse to close; this is not the reaction I expected after seeing me for the first time since our last encounter. That reminds me, I need to make things right. Damon breaks the kiss but hovers his lips over mine.

"Damon, I'm sorry. I can explain-,"

"Shut up. Just promise you'll never scare me like that again," he says, cutting me off.

I crack a smile, "Pinky."

I watch his lips curl into a smile as well, but then I meet his gleaming green eyes and melt. They've always had such an effect on me, ever since the start. He grabs my hand and begins to soothingly rub his thumb across my fingers.

My mom starts to uncurl next to me. Her motions are lethargic and tired, and I'm not completely sure she even knows I'm awake; but when she sees me she leaps to her feet and runs to my side. She squishes my face between both of her hands and starts to plant kisses all over my face.

"You're up! Oh honey, I'm so glad! You've been out for over a day; you had me so worried!" she says between kisses.

"I'm fine mom, don't worry," I respond, not bothered one bit by the excessive affection. There was a moment where I thought I wouldn't be able to receive it ever again, so I don't mind at all.