Chapter 1

"Rachel, have you seen my curling iron?" I yell across the room.

"Didn't you leave it in your locker?" she replies back, "I told you you'd need it Scarlett," she says in a matter-of-fact tone.

I peek my head out of the bathroom door and stare at her blankly, "Oh shut up."

I return to the mirror, furiously trying to style my straight brown hair. It's always straight; I don't know why I even try to force it otherwise. My blue eyes shine out against my reflection. They seem brighter today than usual. Possibly because it's almost spring break and a well deserved break at that.

Rachel's voice brings me back to the present, "Are you almost done? We have to leave soon or we'll be late!" Rachel had stayed over since we had a project to get done, but she's so damn punctual I can't leisurely get ready like usual.

I look back once more and throw my hands out, giving up on my stubborn hair. It falls to its naturally parted position on the side while my white tank bounces slightly. I slip on some shoes then call out, "Ready!"

Once we reach school, we part ways and head to each of our classes. I walk with a group a girls; they talk and I laugh at the appropriate times, but my distracted mind focuses on the never-ending rows of lockers we pass. The five minute bell rings, and it isn't until I noticed a small sign saying "room 209" that I realize just how far away from my class I've walked.

"Damn it," I hiss under my breath.

With a wave goodbye, I dash in the opposite direction, walking exceptionally fast to make the bell. I watch as the students around me quickly dissipate, filling up classrooms and widening the halls. Rounding the corner to my room, my quick pace is halted as I'm knocked off my feet. I rub my head as I try to grab the binder that fell with me. A throat clears with an annoyed cough to which finally grabs my attention upwards.

"I'm sorry, I didn't see you there," I stutter as I glance up. A tall figure looms over me. His loose white v-neck sways as he shifts in his outrageously tight black jeans. He looks down at me with sharp green eyes, bland amusement resonates off his face. A mop of dark hair flips over as he cocks his head to one side.

"I recommend glasses."

He steps over me and stalks off, leaving me baffled. I want to chase after him and give him a piece of my mind, but I have a bell to catch; instead, I rise, grab my things, and choose to brood to myself in my first period desk.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The bell rings, releasing us from 4th hour, and I navigate my way through the traffic to the doors for lunch. I find Rachel and we head out. Once we're seated and eating, hamburger in hand, I start telling her about my day and my earlier encounter.

"He didn't even help you up?" She asks, shocked.

"No! He just casually walked off like I didn't even exist."

"Rude, what does he look like again?"

"He has green eyes and dark wavy hair, not really short but not long either. From where I was sitting, he looked tall. He has this 'I think I'm a bad ass' look about him."

She laughs at my joke, "I think I've seen him before, I don't know his name though. He has to be new."

"I've never seen him," I reply and shrug it off while picking at my fries.

We get back to school a little early, so we stay in the car, the time slowly slipping away. After realizing just how long we had relaxed, we rush inside, half jogging through the decorated halls. Yelling a parting goodbye to each other, we split down two separate halls. I slide in front of my Calculus class and reach for the doorknob. The shrill tardy bell rings right upon entering, and a sigh of relief escapes my lips as I rest my hands on my knees. I look up, only to have that breath sucked right back in. Sitting at a desk talking to someone across from him is the new guy from before. I gape before I walk over to my math teacher, Mr. Garrison, to investigate.