Chapter 20

Damon and I scramble to dress ourselves and he runs over towards the TV to turn on a random video game, so that it seems as if we were busying ourselves with that instead of that. After I greet a seemingly convinced Cassie, I leave and make my own walk of shame to my car. My heart is still racing by the time I crawl into the seat, and my spinning mind tries to process everything that just happened. I can't hold back my feelings any longer, no matter how hard I try to suppress them because of college: I have so utterly fallen for Damon. Before today though, I had admitted my head feelings, now I need to face the fact of my body as the desire still coursing through my veins pulses.

But that doesn't change the fact that you're leaving, my accusing brain protests.

True, and as much as it hurts to realize, there's not much changing it now. There's no time left, it's not meant to be. Unless he wanted something solid, of course; I'd be more than happy to maintain a long distance relationship if it meant I could stay by his side. I've only just begun to uncover the mystery that is Damon Black, and it's already being stripped away from me.

* * * * * * * * * *

Another week of school passes, and there's only one more until graduation. I've accomplished everything I need to do; I'm well prepared and ready, so why do I feel so nervous? Everything is in order and planned, yet I feel so scrambled. It's an uneasy feeling, I hate it. What happened to my sense of security? But I already knew that answer before I even asked the question.

I spent the weekend with Rachel and Eric, laughing and just enjoying our last weekend together. We went to our favorite local pizza parlor, fed our favorite ducks our leftovers, and continued on with our favorites, because soon, too soon, they'll become mere memories and we'll each separate to create new favorites. It was a heart-wrenching, and heartwarming, weekend, and it was perfect.

I walk slowly down the main hall, skimming my fingertips against the cold lockers. The final bell had rang a couple minutes ago, so the hall is basically desolate, excluding a few stragglers. I thought graduation is supposed to be exhilarating and cheerful, but I can't stop thinking of all the people I'm leaving behind. I feel hollow. I have a problem with separations, and this by far is the most I've had to deal with since I was twelve. But, I'm not going to be miserable my last week here, so I stretch my lips into a smile and head over towards Damon's, for it is Tuesday.

Rapping my knuckles against the large door, I wait for a response. A few seconds later, he opens the door wide, and my jaw goes slack. Standing before me is a very wet and very naked Damon with a fluffy white towel wrapped around his waist. I watch small droplets slowly follow a trail from his shoulders to the top of the towel, continuing down to make a puddle by his feet.

"Are you going to stand there and gawk all day, or are you going to come in? That breeze is freezing, and I'm not exactly dressed for the weather."

I snap back into reality and step inside. He closes the door behind me, only then do I notice how he's clutching the fabric in his right hand, instead of it being securely tucked. Then, I notice the white bubbles and foam lingering in his dripping locks.

"Did you jump straight out of the shower?" I ask.

"Well obviously, I didn't want you to think no one was here and go home."

I smile broadly; he wants me here enough to leap out of a shower without the soap even rinsed out. I start laughing, because no matter how sweet that was, he looks ridiculous.

Ridiculously hot, my brain reminds me. Yeah, that too.

"What's so damn funny?"

"Just go finish your shower," I say between giggles.

He steps towards me, near enough that I feel a cool drop fall onto my exposed collarbone. My breath hitches and he smirks.

"You could join me." he says. I watch his gleaming eyes light up with not-so-honorable intent. His dark hair is even darker wet, and it sticks to his face in thick strands, making his eyes seem like an electrifying green.

I gulp, "I think I'll explore instead."

He backs up, amused, and begins walking up the stairs, "Have it your way, just stay out of my room though."

I watch him disappear behind a wall, and with the crack of a shutting door, I finally let out the breathe I'd been holding. Now collected, I head upstairs and begin exploring. I walk into a couple bedrooms and a bathroom, all immaculate like the rest of the house. Damon had already given me a tour, but I hadn't had the time to actually appreciate the details. As I'm walking back down the hallway, I pass the one door I've never opened. The one room I've never seen. I stand in front of it, curiosity bubbling. Why exactly does he not want me to see; or, more so, what? I feel like Belle standing before the forbidden room.

And, like Belle, I give in.

Before I can change my mind, I swiftly open the door and barge inside. It's dark and still unknown and I feel across the wall for a light switch. My hand hits a shape protruding from the wall, and I smirk with achievement as I flip the switch up. The room is engulfed with light, and I'm staring at the shape around the light switch.

It's a tiny rocket-ship. What the hell?

I gradually turn my head to face the room, and I can't believe my eyes. It's like I'm literally in outer-space. The custom painted walls look like a galaxy, filled with dark blues and soft purples. Little white speckles are dusted accordingly across the mural, giving off a perfect appearance of stars. His bed is normal, but there's a bean bag that looks like a moon, and a telescope propped up pointed outside of his window.

Oh my god, he even has the glow in the dark green stars stuck on his ceiling.

I enter the room, spinning in an attempt to take everything in. Coming from a guy whose room I expected to be brooding and plain, this is a pleasant surprise. I walk over to the telescope and lean over to look into it.

"Having fun?" I hear a tight voice remark behind me.

I jump and accidentally knock my eye against the round tube I was looking through. I stand up cautiously, rubbing my throbbing eye in the process, and turn around to see a fuming Damon, fully clothed and dry. He starts to stomp towards me, snatching my wrist, and begins to drag me out of the room.

"Wait! Why haven't you ever showed me this?" I ask while I stumble behind him.

"Invasion of privacy," he mocks his words back at me, "But you seem to have no problem with that."

"Let's not forget who invaded whose room first!"

He spins around with his mouth open, ready for a snarky response, but he eventually just closes it, coming up blank.

"Mhmm," I smirk, "and anyways, I love your room."

His expression is surprised, "You don't think it's lame?"

"Lame? It's so cool, unexpected, but cool!"

A hint of a smile play about his lips before he lays his palm against the wall, "Yeah," is all he says.

I continue, "Can I ask why though?"

He walks over to his desk, a stack of science books laying on top. He picks up one and flips through the pages, "I want to be an astrophysicist. That's my dream. I've told you, I'm quite passionate about the stars."

My heart can barely take anymore, "Passion is attractive," I say before even realizing it.

His eyes darken, "Passion can come in many forms, Scarlett."

I feel my cheeks heat again.

"I'm aware," I add, calmly.

He walks back over to me. Cupping my chin in his fingers, he raises my head and kisses me. Letting his lips linger against mine, he whispers,

"Not quite."

A shiver runs down my spine, I need to change the subject fast.

"So, what did you have planned for today?" I ask innocently.

"Hmm, I'm kind of in the mood for a scary movie."

My mouth goes dry.

Of course.