Chapter 35

In a few days, I'm discharged from the hospital. My mom pleaded with me to come back home for awhile to rest, but I told her I'll be fine at school and that I'll ride back with Damon to our campus. I have something important to do anyways. Jessica woke up a few hours after I did, and we had been by each other's side since then, interchanging between our rooms. I told her about how I planned to go see Travis. She disagreed; she thinks it's a bad idea, but she supports my decision to go. Although, her support hardly matters in swaying my choice; not even Damon can change my mind about going. And oh has he tried to. Even as I'm being wheeled out of the hospital doors and towards his car, he's bickering about it.

"I just don't understand why you would even want to go see him, after all he's done. I just feel like it's only going to result in tearing open old scars," he complains.

"Damon, for the last time, I will be fine. I just want to confront him, especially now."

"I'm coming with you."

"That's not necessary."

"I don't really care."

I smile and throw a middle finger in the air towards him. He catches my hand and kisses the same finger. Once we reach his car, Damon scoops me up and carries me to the door.

"This is definitely not necessary," I motion to myself in his arms.

"I still really don't care," he rebounds.

I chuckle. He looks at me out of the corner of his eyes, a sly smirk dancing across his lips. He opens the door with his foot, and then tucks me inside of the car. I grab the seat belt and pull it over my waist while he shuts the door and walks around the side. With ease, he slides into his seat and starts the ignition. When we get back to school, I waste no time making the arrangements for my prison visit, and in two days I'm on the road again on my way to Mortem Album. I can tell Damon is anxious; I think he is worried about me going in there while I'm still pretty weak. I assure him that I'm fine, but that has no effect. My crutches sit on my lap, crowding up the little space I have in my seat.

"These are so annoying! And the metal is cold against my leg! Can't I just chuck them out the window?" I ask him.

"Scarlett, so help me if you throw out those crutches and try to walk on that leg of yours I will personally strap your ass in a stroller."

I throw my head back in laughter, "You wouldn't!"

He quickly glimpses at me before setting his eyes back on the road; he may not be laughing but his expression is.

"Try me."

We arrive at the prison not an hour later. Damon helps me out and I rest my weight against the cushions of my crutches. Staring up at the gloomy, stone building makes my mood nose-dive. The whole area is boxed in by a tall fence with scooping barbwire at the top. There are a few guard towers spread throughout the grounds and barriers of fencing in between them. To my far right, I can see the prison yard just barely peeking out from behind a side of the building; a few inmates are casually walking along the fence. The large prison is separated into conjoining buildings, all with limited windows. Just standing in front of this place motivates me to continue being a law-abiding citizen, and I try to motivate Damon as well.

I point a finger towards him, "Don't ever go to jail."

He laughs and pulls me closer to him, "I'll try my best, Kitten."

"Don't call me that."

He nuzzles my ear, "You loved it that one day I called you it."

Scenes from the pool table flood back to me, "Did not," I lie.