Chapter 7

Angrily, I place one foot in front of the other, causing the gravel beneath my feet to spur in opposite directions. Our tent is right ahead, and I hurriedly walk towards it. How could he say something like that so boldly? I plop myself onto my air mattress, and stare at the sky above through the clear plastic. I know I'm trying hard to play the I'm-so-offended card, but honestly it's the opposite. I'm kind of turned on. My skin is prickling with excitement while I smile broadly. I shouldn't feel like this, but I guess it's alright to accept it when I'm alone.

As if on cue, Rachel storms into the tent, "I'm so glad they put up the trampoline! It's my favorite!" she says with burning glee.

"Yeah, same," I respond, my mind elsewhere.

"Hey, you want to play some soccer? They just started a new game."

"In our bikinis?" I ask startled.

"Sure! Why not?"

Rachel runs out and over towards a soft small field with a large group of kids, all in their bathing suits. I guess we're going to play a round of half-naked fútbol. I suppose I should bring myself back to reality and get up.

After the game ends, everybody heads to the gazebo for dinner. The sun has started to set, leaving the campsite in a hazy cloud of pinks and oranges. Some people trot over soaked, just having escaped the lake. Most are dressed and dry by now. We eat a delicacy of hamburgers and chips. Rachel and I sit next to each other, and we both laugh simultaneously at Jason Brooker, a short blonde kid in our grade, while he bloats his face and pulls his ears, looking exactly like a monkey. Eric sneaks up behind Jason and slaps both his cheeks, causing him to spit out the air he was holding. He grabs a solitary slice of pickle and throws it behind him, successfully smacking Eric in between the eyes. Everybody is in tears laughing now. I can't remember the last time I enjoyed myself this much.

By the time we all finish eating, the sun has completely fallen and the crickets have awakened. It's pitch black out, with only a few white highlights scattered about by the moon. A lightning bug flies by my nose, and suddenly I notice them everywhere. A group of girls jump up and start chasing them, like we're five again. I turn to my side to make the five-year-old joke, only to find my recipient racing across the lawn after the illuminating insects. Rachel is such a child. Chuckling to myself, I head back to my tent, wanting some time to relax before we indulge in s'mores and scary stories later.

Unzipping the door, I step inside the hole. A few twigs crack outside my tent, so I turn around to look for the source. I search for a squirrel or rabbit, but there's nothing but darkness. I shrug, assuming the animal must've run off, however right as I'm about to stick my head back inside, I see a shadow in the emptiness. I squint, hoping that this is all just my imagination, but slowly the blurry shadow becomes sharper, becoming a figure. Fear skates through me as adrenaline wakes my body. What do I do? Do I run, or pretend I didn't notice and close the tent? If I run, the person will definitely know I saw them, and everybody is to the far right of me near the center of camp. I'd never make it. Upon deciding, I zip my door shut with trembling fingers. I move over to my bed and sit, waiting. Nothing happens. I'm probably freaking out for no reason; it's probably just one of the guys who needed to go take a piss behind the trees. Agreeing with my rational suggestion, I calm down and open the portable DVD player. Hoping off my bed, I bend down and start flipping through the movies we brought, using the moon as my light.

I'm in the middle of reading the 21 Jump Street title when my light disappears. I cautiously raise my eyes, and find myself looking at a shadow reflecting against the tent wall, hovering over me. I open my mouth to scream but a hand clamps over my lips. I start to struggle, trying to free myself, but my perpetrator picks me up easily, and tosses me onto my bed. I rise and fall as my air mattress tries to absorb the sudden change. Before I can react, mystery rapist crawls on top of me, and hovers his body over me by propping himself up on his elbows and knees. I open my sealed eyes to find a pair of green ones looking into me.