Chapter 22

We arrive at the campus earlier than we expected, so my mother and I toured around the school, just getting a feel for things, until orientation started. The campus is breathtaking, with palm trees surrounding the white stone buildings, and grass as green as Damon's eyes. Only, the grass is missing the little specks of gold scattered throughout the...

Scarlett stop. Contain yourself, that's in the past. This is your future.

I smile as the warm sun beats off my exposed skin, and then chuckle as I see a two guys collide into each other as they try to catch an oncoming frisbee. A group of girls walking past me animatedly chat, and three students studying underneath a palm tree to my side start hysterically laughing. Everywhere I look I see life and excitement. Large buildings engulf me, their curved metal and glass brightly gleaming as the sun bounces off their surfaces. Everything seems so much larger and important. The atmosphere alone makes me feel so much older, and as I bound through the campus and soak in all its wonder, I begin to increasingly feel like this is home. Everything just feels right here, like this is where I'm supposed to be.

Too soon, it's time for orientation, and I have to peel myself away from my mother like a band-aid as she's crying and petting my head goodbye. I feel my eyes start to water so I blink repeatedly to restrain the tears. This will be the longest period of time I'll be away from her, and I'm not looking forward to it; but, my excitement to be in college is keeping my scales even. I watch her drive away, and, with luggage in hand, I head over to the small group of freshly graduated freshmen, all here ready to commence their new life.

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

A couple of hours later, I am unpacked and adding the finishing touches to my dorm room. Orientation hadn't lasted too long, and directly afterwards we were led to our rooms with our new roommates to get situated. Apparently, my roommate had been running late, not making it to orientation, so I still had no clue he is.

Oh yeah, did I mention, he?

Supposedly, he is gay and protested the fact that he should have to be forced to live on the male floors. He believed he'd find more of a community on the girl's floors. After he presented a list of consent signatures from all the other girls staying on the floor, the board members finally allowed him to live with us. Being one of those signatures, I have no problem with it.

After I finish, I head next door to our suitemates' room. I met both girls in orientation and I'm glad to say they're quite friendly. My worst fear of college was getting awful roommates, but I'm currently 2/3 of the way loving them, hopefully Mr. 3rd won't spoil it.

Anna and Olivia are both sitting on one bed talking when I walk in. They turn to me and smile, scooting to the side to let me on too. Anna tucks her already tucked strawberry blonde bangs behind her ears without realizing it, a habit I've noticed throughout the day, before asking me about my roommate. I tell her that he hasn't shown yet. Olivia lays a hand on my shoulder,

"Make sure and tell me if he's ever not-so-gay and tries something."

I laugh, "You'll be the first to know."

Her deep skin glows as she gives me a glistening smile, curly tendrils bouncy slightly atop her head. I stay there a little longer before heading back over to my room.

I'm in the middle of setting up my laptop when I hear the door burst open behind me and a sing-song voice cry out, "Honey, I'm home!"

He immediately reminds me of Rachel, and I immediately fall in love.

I spin around in my chair to see a well groomed skinny boy in front of me. He has his arms flung out in opposite directions; an action I assume went along with the entrance. He looks at me with big wondrous blue eyes and a large straight smile. I jump up to greet him, but he rushes over and wraps me in his arms before lifting me off the ground in a hug and spinning.