Chapter 14

After Damon breaks off the kiss, he climbs into his mustang and drives off, leaving me breathless and craving for more. But instead, I open the door and enter my house. Sliding down the wall next to me, I touch my lips and ponder everything I experienced tonight: from learning about Damon's family, to reminiscing over how easy it surprisingly was to just hang out with him, how natural it was. A smile spreads across my face and I can feel the butterflies stirring.

"So, how was your night?" My mom asks, breaking me from my trance.

"Wonderful," is all I reply.

"Really? Can tutoring really be that fun?"

Shit. I forgot that that's what Damon told me to tell her. Well, I might as add some truth into it, "Yeah, mainly because I think I like the guy I'm helping."

"Oh?" She raises her eyebrow quizzically, "Well you do remember that you're going to be leaving in a few months for college right?"

I felt as if the air had been knocked out of me as my butterflies came crashing down and replaced with knives. I had forgotten, but now that I've been so kindly reminded that I only have a little more time here, my whole demeanor changes. She didn't have to say it, it was written in between her words: what's the point of getting close if you're leaving before you'll even get a chance?

"Yeah...I remember. I think I'm going to go upstairs now."

I rise and pass my mom, and then turn to climb up the stairs towards my room. Tossing my phone aside, I fling myself onto my mattress and stare at the ceiling. She's right, there's no point in trying to get close, only to be hurt in the end. The surrounding emptiness begins to crawl inside of me, widening the void I thought had I filled. I get up and start undoing the many buttons to my outfit, and then change into a shirt to sleep in. I notice how much smaller it is than Damon's, yet it feels so less secure. I mechanically finish my nightly routine before crawling back into bed, cocooning myself within my blanket. I angrily roll onto my side, infuriated with myself because I can't comprehend why I'm so upset. I've known Damon for a couple months now, yes, but I've only begun to view him differently just in the past week. I don't understand why I am getting so distraught over leaving a boy I barely even have a friendship with, let alone relationship. Frustrated, I toss and turn, not even remotely tired, just left alone and wide-awake with my aching thoughts.

*tap*

I sit up so fast that I have to take a second to allow my breath to catch up. I spin my head towards the window by the end of my room. I know I heard something. I wait awhile longer, but end up just laying back down, concluding that it was just a fluke. I feel myself beginning to drift off, into the stormy sea of my dreams.

*TAP*

I jump involuntarily and end up falling off the bed with a thud. I scramble up and search for something to protect myself with before I make my over to the window to investigate. That sound was much louder than before, and I know it's definitely something now. I grab my old softball bat by the handle while I cautiously step towards the window. An eerie stream of moonlight seeps through the translucent panels, only creeping me out more. Once I finally reach the frame, I undo the hook holding the two vertical panels of glass together (I have this nifty vintage window), and push them open with one hand. Timidly, I step out onto my tiny balcony, only a few feet long, and glance around wielding my bat, ready to strike.

"Nice panties."

I scream and stumble backwards as I try to turn towards the voice, but I trip over my own feet and lose my balance. A hand reaches out and grasps my wrist, steadying me from toppling over the railing. I snap my head up to roof ledge above to see Damon's shimmering eyes watching me and a playful smile across his face.