Chapter 27

"Quin?" I question loudly over the stereo.

"Yeah, Beautiful?"

"Does this top go well with this skirt?"

"As I've answered for the past seven outfits, yes Scarlett," he replies exasperated, "Now would you quit worrying and just go to the damn restaurant?"

I look back to the mirror and huff in defeat. I feel like this should be easy: just picking out an outfit just like I would any other time before. Yet, somehow this time is different; I'm anxious and leery, but also excited and curious. It's as if my jumble of a mind has dumped itself into the physical world around me, because just about my entire wardrobe is lying in a circular heap. Currently, a cream lacy top and an ankle length teal skirt rests upon me, but I bet that's going to change soon.

"I don't know, I feel like it's too nice for just a lunch date," I ponder with my unsure tone.

"Well, why don't you just wear what you'd typically wear when you guys used to go on dates?"

Suddenly, realization hits me like a brick wall as I come to the conclusion as to why picking my outfit has been so hard: this is Damon and I's first date.

"We've never been on one before," I say with as much disbelief as is plastered across Quentin's face.

"What?"

"I...I really don't think we have. He forced me to go out with him once before, but that was just a quick dinner and I hated him then anyways. Other than that, every moment we've spent together has been at the camp site, his house, or my house; we've never actually gone out together."

"I can't believe my ears right now. So you two are madly in love and you haven't even been out on one date? This is insanity."

His comment catches my attention, "I am not in love with Damon."

"Are too."

"Definitely not. I mean, you said it yourself, we've never even been on a date before! How could I be in love with someone who I've never been on a date yet with?"

"I don't know. You guys are your own type of cliche."

"Mhm," I eye him suspiciously, "I will easily admit that I like him, maybe even love him, however being in love with him is uncharted territory."

"Well I guess we'll just need to get a map then! But first, let's make you super hot for your first date."

* * * * * * * * * * * *

I open the heavy wooden doors to Tony's and walk inside. The aroma of pasta and bread immediately engulfs me and my mouth begins to water. The room is dimly lit with an individual light hanging above each table. I don't see Damon anywhere, but he may already be seated. I unconsciously tuck my hair behind my ear and walk towards the front desk.

"Welcome to Tony's! May I find you a table, or are there more joining you today?"

"Actually, I'm supposed to meet somebody here, but he may already be seated: Damon Black."

The hostess's face lights up and she smiles widely, "You're Miss White? My, what a lucky girl are you. Follow me."

Confused, I oblige and contemplate what exactly she meant by that. The only thing I can think of is she must've seen him and fallen head-over-heels for his obnoxious smirk and good looks. Annoyed, I cross my arms over my chest as I follow her through the restaurant. She winds in and out of tables until she meets a door. My annoyance shifts back into confusion as she holds the door open for me with a pleasant smile. I timidly step through and enter a small dim room with enough space for a single two-seat table. Instead of a hanging lamp, the table is illuminated by a large centerpiece candle and a couple candles surrounding the proximity. I take slow paces towards the middle of the room. Once I reach the table, I brush my fingertips across the satin cloth.