15. 𝗲𝘀𝘇𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗺𝗮𝘅𝗶𝗺𝗼𝗳𝗳 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝗵𝗲𝗿 𝘄𝗼𝗲𝘀

THE SITUATION TOOK A SUDDEN TURN.

     Chattering could be heard from outside the cabin, and Monica knew the voices distinctly from everyone else; they were hushed except for one voice, which was louder of the two, feminine and angry. Monica pushed the door open, alerting the two people inside the room into total silence, not wanting eavesdroppers listening in on their conversation. No doubt talking about Eszter.

     Darcy and Jimmy stood up straight and stared at the door with caution, but they were relieved to see the intruder was Monica. They visibly relaxed at the sight of the familiar woman, considering her partially on their side; however, Darcy wasn't sure if she should trust Monica.

     "Oh, thank God. It's you," sighed Darcy dramatically. The dark-haired woman clutched her chest as if her heart would jump out of her chest, feeling like it stopped for a moment before beating like crazy.

     Monica glances between Darcy and Jimmy. "I see you two aren't taking the news well either," commented the woman.

     Darcy scoffed loud from her throat, feeling a strong urge to roll her eyes but refrains. "You can say that," snipped Darcy, crossing her arms across her chest, glaring at Monica almost accusingly. "What the hell was that even about? What kind of organization are you people running here?" Darcy could barely look at Monica, who appeared just as uncomfortable and apologetic. "I get that you people are trying to keep us safe from extraterrestrial beings and whatnot, but to go after someone who helped save the world multiple times and mistreat her? You people are gross."

     Jimmy raised a hand, looking at Darcy with a settle-down-look.

     "What she means to say is that we're concerned with the way your boss is handling the situation regarding Eszter Maximoff," simplified Jimmy, glancing at Monica with a soft frown. His voice was gentle and calm, unlike Darcy's aggressive approach. "I understand Eszter had a rough start, but she stood out of the public eye for two years. And what happened with Spider-Man--uh, Peter Parker--she did save hundreds of lives."

     "I know, I know," stressed Monica. She pinched her thumb and pointer finger against the bridge of her nose, trying to make sense of this madness.

     Darcy wasn't assured of what was happening anymore, and still, all the Wanda-Vision stuff wasn't making their mission any more manageable. All while trying to understand the meaning behind Wanda and how the hell she managed to bring Vision back from the dead, Darcy now had to realize Eszter was dragged into this situation. At first, Darcy assumed Eszter might know what could've happened to Wanda and how she might've ended up in Westview, but the scientist knew in her gut that Eszter wouldn't let this go unnoticed. But this felt wrong.

     As an Astrophysicist, Darcy wanted to use her knowledge to help the world the same way they had in New Mexico; however, Darcy drew the line when they were no longer acting ethically.

     "I can't be the only one who feels wrong about doing this, am I?" inquired Darcy with a deep frown, glancing between Monica and Jimmy.

     After discovering Wanda behind the barrier, playing as a character from the '50s, Darcy and Jimmy gathered to discuss the matter. With no answers to fill their unanswered question, the three are left to toss around solutions like a fill-in-the-blank. The three were the only ones willing to speak out about Hayward's intentions with Eszter, and though neither of them would consider the other as friends, they were the closest they would get. Assuming everyone in S.W.O.R.D. is devoted to Hayward, Darcy felt more comfortable telling her opinions to Monica and Jimmy.

     However, it was beginning to feel divided.

     "Right?" edged Darcy again, raising her brows when all she received was silence. When neither of them responded, Darcy dropped her arms back to her side with a loud smack, groaning from the back of her throat in frustration. "You guys are seriously considering Mr. Bozo out there? He's nuts! I get that we have to save Wanda, but did he have to bring Eszter in that like? That's just not right, and I can't be the only one who thinks that."