17. 𝗯𝗲𝗰𝗼𝗺𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗮𝗻 𝗮𝘂𝗻𝘁𝗶𝗲!

WESTVIEW CONTINUED AFTER WANDA'S OUTBURST. Eszter was still baffled after the scene, a little uncertain about the circumstances. Geraldine's disappearance went unnoticed by the residents, acting as if there was never a Geraldine, to begin with. No one seemed to bat an eye at Wanda's little black lie of the woman heading home, claiming to be sick. However, Eszter knew the truth.

     Still, a baffled Eszter couldn't begin to comprehend how to feel; she knew Geraldine, and a small part of Eszter felt guilty for letting the woman deal with Wanda alone, but for some reason, Eszter couldn't bring herself to intervene. Maybe it was the fact that she's finally with Wanda, or perhaps it was the little baby boys that she already loves, a life that Wanda had always wanted--a family. Eszter couldn't ruin that fairytale all for a woman who showed a little bit of kindness.

     Nevertheless, after that fiasco, Eszter slipped away from the new parents of twins, finding herself sitting at a swing set alone. She was stuck in her thoughts, contemplating scenarios and wondering what the punishment of her actions would cost. But there was always one thought in Eszter's mind:

     Was it all worth it?

     The answer was always simple--yes.

     Eszter would give up her entire world just to see Wanda happy. It didn't matter whether or not Eszter would get her happy ending, too; no, the witch believes Wanda deserved everything and more. If it weren't for her elder sister, Eszter wouldn't be here. Eszter would've been dumped in the streets, probably forgotten in an orphanage if it weren't for Wanda.

     Her love for Wanda is endless.

     But there was a part of Eszter filled with guilt and remorse, knowing exactly why she felt like that; the witch had left a portion of her life back in New York, and there were people she cared about. It's difficult for Eszter to choose between her sister and her friends, but in the end, the witch knows she couldn't turn her back on her only blood.

     "What's got you all mopey?"

     Eszter jerked her head up to the sound of an intruder, alarmed and a bit on guard; however, once her eyes settled on the owner of the voice, Eszter wasn't surprised to see Wesley in her mist. Her eyes softened when there wasn't a threat, slouching in her swing seat, pushing herself against the mulch.

     "Nothing," said Eszter. Then she made a face like she was frowning and looking slightly offended. "And I'm not mopey. I'm just . . . thinking."

     "I can see that," commented Wesley, finding his spot in the swing next to Eszter. "What are you thinking about?"

     She shook her head. "Nothing important," struggled Eszter, unable to put her thoughts into words without having to admit more than she wanted. She paused, allowing her mind to rack her thoughts.

     "Come on," beckoned Wesley with a playful smile. "I can be a good shoulder to cry on, but horrible at dealing with a crying girl, so . . . don't cry."

     "I don't even know you," argued Eszter, recalling the last time Wesley tried peeling the surface layer of her mind. "Just because you help me with all of this doesn't make us close friends."

     Wesley perked up. "Are you considering me a friend?"

     "No, I'm just saying--"

     "You definitely did," grinned Wesely.

     Eszter rolled her eyes. "No, I didn't," she argued. "You're annoying."

     The only way to get Eszter to open up was if Wesley did, too. And so, Wesley did that.