My Brother's Keeper Part 2

"Your total is, $184.45."

"Oooh, that much?"

"Yes, ma'am."

I pulled out my debit card and gave it to the cashier for her to pay for the items until a beeping sound came from her register. She swiped it again and told me that my debit card had insufficient funds on it.

Can this night get any worse?

"Are you sure?"

"Yes, ma'am."

I looked to see that the line was getting longer and people were getting more and more irritated.

So I just decided to leave before things get worse. By exiting the store, I head back to the car and instantly start to regret this night altogether.

"Hey. Where's the bags?" He asked me while I'm trying to put my seatbelt on.

I sighed and said, "Oh, it's alright. I just realized that I didn't really need anything. So, we can just go ahead and leave."

"Really? Are you sure? Because I noticed that you were kinda in a bind in there."

"No. It's just that...well I'm just going through a lot right now with finances and I just came to the realization that I can't spend the way that I want to and-"

Before I could even say the full thing, he gets out his phone and drives off into the night.

"Hey, what are you doing?!" I asked.

"Hey, Duane. I need you to do something for me. Alright, listen, I'm gonna get Raynella to write down a few things for you to get. So, we'll meet you at the house, alright?" He says on the phone with his brother, Duane and right now, he wants us to go to his house? Like, at Paisley Park? This is insane. "Alright, thanks man." He hung up his phone and went back to keeping his eyes on the road.

"Wait, I don't need you to do that for me. I'm fine."

"No, it's not fine and I don't want you to starve yourself tonight."

"I know but, I mean, thank you. But, I just think it'll be better if I just handle it on my own."

"Handle it? No. Listen, after what we just experienced tonight. We deserve to have a chill night."

I get where he's coming from but, I'm not a baby. I'm a grown woman and I feel like as a grown woman, I should be able to take care of things myself. I mean, isn't that what being independent means?

But now, I have to go to this man's house and see what it's like when he's by himself. That's something that never even crossed my mind. But I can't even get out of the situation so I might as well just bite my tongue and go with it. Oh gosh, this is so embarrassing. Auntie, where are you? I really need you to get me out of this.

We arrived at Paisley Park and I couldn't believe my eyes. Everything about it was so clean, different and ginormous, to say the least. He parked his car in the garage and got out of his side to escort me inside. As a true gentleman should.

We headed inside and it looked so colorful. To the hallway, the upstairs, and even the kitchen since that was the last spot we stopped in.

"Okay, I'm going to give you a piece of paper. Write down whatever it is that you need. Whether it's from food, drinks, feminine products...whatever it is. I'll get Duane to get it done for you. And don't worry, I'll pay for it." He mentioned to me again.

"Prince, I'm telling you, I'm okay. I don't need these things that bad." I reassured him. But he was persistent on helping me with this so I had no choice but to finally give in.