Chapter 1

As a child, Dark Cacao heard the word 'Soulmates' plenty of times before. He heard that, one day, you would have a strong connection with a person, an irreplaceable bond, whether they were man or woman did not matter. Of course, as he grew older, he came to realize this was only a rumor--a story children were told in order to force loyalty towards their future companion, to feel safe and a sense of comfort even in the most abusive or toxic relationships, no questions asked.

Although Dark Cacao's childhood was blurry, the things he heard often from his family, or people on the street in general, he could remember as clear as day. On occasions, Cacao would have flashbacks that were completely unrelated to whatever he heard or might have been experiencing at the time. Just one word and some flashback could flood back at any given moment, whether it was good or bad. Usually, though, he tried not to reflect on what he believed were memories for an extended period of time, and he was able to easily forget soon after remembering a past event.

--

Dark Cacao stretched his upper body, shifting uncomfortably in his stiff chair. A faint creak could be heard from underneath his weight. For a moment his vision went dark and his arms dropped down to his lap. He had almost fallen onto his dark wooden desk with beautiful swirls of a lighter colored wood. This was most likely a case of iron deficiency, he assumed. He rubbed the bridge of his nose, trying to rid of the sudden exhaustion, but he soon realized he failed when he yawned only seconds after his attempt. 'I should really get some soda, I'm awfully thirsty,' he thought to himself, but he really didn't feel like getting up.

He placed his hands steadily on his desk, "ugh," and with a grunt he stood up from his chair hesitantly, noticing his physical state in the mirror above his vanity when he turned around. He looked tired and unkept, like he hadn't showered in about a week, even though he'd showered the day prior. Running a hand through his long hair, he made his way to the door, carelessly swinging it open to the point it hit the doorstopper, flinging back his way right when he was exiting his room. "Fuck! Really?" He murmured to himself, looking back ahead of him with a rub to his bottom. 'Jeez, even my doors hate me,' he chuckled to himself, slowly walking downstairs for a cup of cold soda.

He opened his cupboard and grabbed his favorite glass, reading 'World's Greatest Dad!' and a terribly painted red heart accompanying the hand-written words.

It was a gift from his son.

His son...

A sudden memory flashed back in his head of his dearest son, Dark Choco Cookie, attempting to assassinate Dark Cacao. He felt nauseous, feeling like the memory was really replaying itself in the present moment, as if it were occurring once again. He soon realized this was false, indeed. Yet again was he deceiving himself.

He filled the mug with bubbly soda from the faucet. He gave it a long swig, and, as per usual, it tasted like it was made up of half chemicals, half soda. At this point in time, he'd grown on the taste. 

Satisfied, he headed back upstairs to his room, or what he called his 'sleeping chambers,' although room was a much more convenient word.

He entered the oversized room and sat on his old bed, attempting to take a few minutes to relax and forget about the papers littering his desk, which just so happened to be extremely important. This, however, was interrupted by a tapping on his window. He didn't bother looking, assuming it was just one of his bones randomly cracking as they tended to do. Then he heard the noise again, tap, tap, tap. Finally, his eyes opened to see a small blue bird with a scroll in it's mouth. Dark Cacao stood from his bed, confusion littering his dark chocolate toned face. He set his mug down on the nightstand and walked to the window, unlocking it and sliding it open.

"Oh? What's this, you sweet thing?" He questioned the round, feathery bird, giving it a scratch on the head. It responded with a happy little tweet. He smiled and grabbed the scroll, opening it with an all too familiar curiosity. He studied the letter carefully, making sure to properly read every messy word. He identified the writing that belonged to one of his old friends. The letter read:

'Dear Dark Cacao Cookie, a fellow ruler and also a fellow friend!

A proper meeting to discuss the kingdoms' alliances will be held tonight in the Hollyberry Kingdom. Don't be a minute late, you rascal!

I believe there is two rulers you have yet to meet, the god of life and the goddess of spring, rulers of the Vanilla Kingdom, and I am hoping you three will get along swell! I am almost sure you will love them!

Please dress accordingly. Who knows, maybe you'll even find your Soulmate! They truly are quite the charmers if you ask me. ;)

Thanks for your time! See you later, best friend. stay safe.

Yours truly, Hollyberry Cookie'

Dark Cacao scoffed and smiled at the letter, rolling his eyes. Hollyberry had been his bestfriend since childhood. She was one of the things he could never forget. However, this also meant she knew he hated the whole 'Soulmate' idea. She teased him ever since he was a child for not believing in the theory, but he never really paid any mind to her constant teasing since he knew well enough it was only meant to annoy him.

Cacao thanked the bird and waved it off. The bird did so with a harmonious tweet, and Cacao shut his window, relocking it. A sigh escaped his chapped lips, 'other rulers I haven't met? Hm... the Vanilla Kingdom... interesting.'  the thought coursed his mind multiple times. He decided to take a hot shower before the meeting between kingdoms, hoping his mind would be put at ease.

He turned on the shower, placing his hand underneath the soda to feel the gentle flow and to test the temperature. After about forty-five seconds he decided on his preferred temperature and stripped down, stepping inside and relaxing. He took note on how sore his muscles were from non-stop training in the past week. Today was his break day. He groaned, massaging his shoulders and neck as best as he could. It was so odd to be able to feel the knots in his muscles, and it was tender to the touch. After a few moments, he stopped massaging himself and decided to just finish washing his hair and body. He sighed contently underneath the wet warmth, barely finding the motivation to move his body. The humid steam filled his nose, sending a satisfying feeling through his lungs.

After a good twenty minutes, Cacao exited the shower, fluffing his hair in the mirror with his towel, enjoying the feeling of the cloud-like softness against his head and face. It made his body tingle, it was nice. It was calming...

Things like this never last forever, Cacao.

He tried his best to ignore that little voice in his head as best as he possibly could and continued to fix himself up. He brushed his hair and then tossed on a fancy black tuxedo, checking himself out in the large bathroom mirror directly above the sink. He washed his warm hands with cold soda, the feeling of temperature change was relieving. He also noticed how flushed his cheeks were from the shower, making him look as if he had just ran a marathon. "Hm," he hummed to himself. Hollyberry had always commented on how pretty he was when he was flushed, so it was habit for him to notice it in the mirror after a warm shower or on a hot summer day.

Cacao dried off his hands, his random thoughts ceasing while he tossed on his shoes and sheathed his grapejam chocoblade. His back hurt, it ached. He placed two fists into his back and leaned backwards, hearing a couple of pops and crackles as he groaned loudly. "Gahh..." He sighed with relief. He then stepped out of his room, now on his way to his dear friend Hollyberry's Kingdom, the kingdom of Love and Fall.

--

Hope you liked the first chapter. It's a little short, but it's kinda just to see if people like this and if I will have the motivation to continue to post lol!

I'll try to make future chapters anywhere from 2-5k words, but you'll probably mostly see around 2k lol

Lmk if u liked it tho, also I'll try to post weekly at least, despite me being so damn busy all the time- (i didnt own up to this LMAO)

Currently working on getting an ao3 acc btw