Chapter 9

Pure Vanilla lightly nibbled on his pen as he stared at the three empty letters. He wasn't looking to write too much information, but he couldn't think of how to put the situation in a few simple words without seeming too urgent about it. Sure, the disturbances weren't an emergency, per se, but it wasn't something to simply brush off, either.

"Hm... Saint Lily, do you have any ideas on what I should write? I don't wish to overexaggerate the problem, but I don't want them to see it as something so small they shouldn't bother to come. Considering we aren't that close yet, I don't believe they'd want to travel across earthbread just to see what's wrong. Although we are allies, it doesn't mean we can just take any time out of our days to help each other with something small... maybe this is a bad idea." He stressed, bunching a chunk of his hair in his right hand. He had been throwing away and restarting his letters, feeling as if they weren't good enough or didn't get his point across.

"Vanilla, you're rambling.. there's no need to worry, just summarize the situation and ask for their help. If they can't make it, that's fine, but ask them to, at least, send someone over to help us out a little bit." She suggested, rolling her chair over to his desk surrounded in an assortment of flowers and plants.

"It's an extremely important matter, I just don't want them to think I'm using their power for small things like this. Again, we are allies, that is our job, but..." He set his dry pen on one of the blank letters, drumming his fingers impatiently on the cream-colored desk, "I feel as if I shouldn't pester them for something we haven't even checked out yet."

She sighed, gently placing her hand on her forehead, Pure Vanilla sounded so pitiful. "We've gotten dozens of complaints, haven't we? Plus, our defense mechanisms aren't all that... impressive. I think we have valid reasoning to require their assistance." She thought for a second, mind lighting up with a grand idea. Her hand lowered to the bare letters and she suggested, "should I write them?"

He leaned back in his chair, gripping his forearms lightly, "oh, no, no! I couldn't possibly trouble you any further than I already have! Your advice has been helpful, I will mention our lack of defense, that will definitely validate our reason to invite Hollyberry, but the other two... hmm, haha..." He thought to himself, running his fingers through his hair from front to back, trying to change the subject. His waffle cone hat was off his head. Instead, it was set beside the desk. He took it off because it blocked the light of the lantern near him.

She felt a pang of sympathy for him, he had never been good at accepting help or assistance with anything, especially not things stuff this. She looked to the side, staring at the blinding lights in the distance of the kingdom, her white eyelashes fluttering while she admired the beauty of the nighttime billboards and city lights, "If you're against the idea, just say so. Either way, it's no big deal to me." He shifted in his seat, licking his bottom lip before rubbing it against the top one. Of course, help was always something he craved for, but if he accepted he knew he would feel guilty for not being able to do something so simple by himself.

"Right... thank you for the suggestion, but I think I'll be alright on my own." He cracked his fingers on the desk, a loud popping sound following, making both him and Saint Lily cringe.

"Okay... also, don't do that, it's bad for your knuckles. If you need a chiropractor, I'll schedule you an appointment, but don't do those procedures by yourself, you can get hurt..." She grabbed his hands, stopping him from doing it. It was one of her biggest pet peeves when people cracked their bones, it felt and sounded odd to her and caused her great anxiety.

He stared at her with a bizarre look on his face, making her ask what it was for, "I'm a healer, if I get hurt I can just... poof! Magic, healed. I'll be alright, Lily, but I will consider your suggestion." He laughed, and she rolled her eyes. She had almost forgotten his healing abilities, despite it being what he's known for.