Ch. 9 it's Not All Bad News

Aaron has been out of a coma for four days. Wheeljack and Que's invention helped lessen how weak Aaron's legs have gotten, but he still needs physical therapy and will still be dealing with chronic pain.
"I'm sorry," Wheeljack apologizes after hearing Aaron isn't fully recovered.
"It's ok, you two are still learning about the human body," Aaron comments, "I'm not even sure if an invention to do what you two hoped is possible, but keep trying," he smiles, "this could be temporary. Though doctors can't say for sure."
The two scientists say nothing but hate seeing how a soldier is now stuck in a wheelchair and dealing with pain.
"He may walk soon without pain, gentlemen," a doctor comments as he walks into the room, "but note it's hard to tell at the moment. A little good news for you both is the invention did help, but this might be the best we can do for him. He can walk with crutches but gets tired after a while and deals with pain while sitting or laying down. Aaron might need a month of physical therapy, and he'll be back to his normal activity or a year, or like I said, this is the best he'll be."
The two get more good news; Aaron will be released and get physical therapy from Jolt. For now, Aaron has decided to help around the base. The two scientists find it hard to think he's ok when he's thinking about four months from now when new recruits arrive.

Aaron is released two days later. While Jolt talks to Aaron's doctor and hospital's physical therapist, Prowl and Ratchet transport Aaron back to the base, uncertain if he's still a target. His wife takes the day off to help him. Feeling proud, her husband is determined to keep going and hopefully get back to fighting with the Autobots, even if the cons have been quiet. Optimus and Prowl told her Aaron would be safe at the base and insisted she stay at the base until they know neither are no longer a target. 

Aaron insists on getting right to work when Jolt returned from the hospital. The three medics smile at his determination. Aaron insists the two scientists watch to see how well he's already doing. Jolt and Ratchet want to try to get Aaron to use a cane by the end of the week. Wheeljack and Que watch Aaron walk down the hall and back to them before needing to sit back in the wheelchair. They didn't know he wasn't taking pain relief until he told Jolt he was feeling the pain in his legs, but he wanted nothing for it and wants to walk again in a couple of hours.

While Aaron is getting physical therapy, Sideswipe is getting his release instructions.
"No workouts for the next week. Visit me before thinking about doing any workouts," Ratchet instructs, "no running."
Sideswipe isn't sure why Ratchet added the no running but doesn't argue with him. Ratchet gives him pain relief medication before leaving the medbay, not prepared to see Aaron, Que, and Wheeljack.
Scrap, good thing I put the bottle in my pocket. Sideswipe thinks, hoping it'll be enough to hide that he's been in the medbay for four days.

Sideswipe is happy to see Aaron. No one thought Aaron would bring up wanting to walk with no aid with his wife to the valentine's day party, even if the event is in the cafeteria. The challenge is while the event is a month from now, when do they decide he's as recovered as he'll be? Worried if Aaron doesn't meet this goal, he'll give up when he might walk without a problem in six months. This is a good distraction from thinking about the ones the killer has killed, Brandon laying in critical condition in the medbay, and the conversation Sideswipe needs to have with his brother even if Sunstreaker has come by the medbay while Sideswipe has been recovering. Sunstreaker hasn't blocked his side of the bond and has been happy.

Sunstreaker waits at the door, feeling how anxious Sideswipe is. He helps Sideswipe sit on his bed, knowing Sideswipe is in a little pain.
"I'm fine," Sideswipe assures him, "and I saw Aaron. He's determined to walk with Brittany to the valentine's day party and dance with her."
"Oh right, dancing yuck. Don't even say it," Sideswipe smiles, wondering if Lily will get Sunstreaker in a suit and dancing with her, "I'm sorry," Sunstreaker says for the millionth time since Sideswipe woke up from surgery.
"I shouldn't have said anything. Everyone assumes it's you, whether back home or here. Though this time, I've only heard Ratchet accuse you indirectly. You haven't blocked your end of the bond which you would have if you were killing humans," he pauses for a moment, "but you wouldn't hide the evidence that you killed humans," Sideswipe adds in a lower tone.
"I don't know if I'll ever be healed. That I'll always be a psychopath killer, but I am learning to care about a few humans. Don't tell me there's a chance I'll get better. It's been centuries, and now I care about four humans. Not a sign I'm getting better."
Sideswipe doesn't know what to say. It's a quiet hour before Sunstreaker leaves the room.
"To get Lily," he tells Sideswipe, "but I'd love to find the killer. Maybe one day I'll run into him."

Aaron insists on walking a little more, though he's dealing with pain. He knows he'll get a lecture from the three medics and his wife, but didn't think Lennox and Optimus would lecture him.
"You need to be careful. Overdoing it will slow recovery," Lennox lectures, "you can help Mirage for a while. You're good at hacking. While taking your recovery at a good pace before you push yourself to the point where you're stuck in that wheelchair. Though we don't know if you're as recovered as possible."
"I'm pleased you're thinking positive," Optimus adds, "but you need to be careful."
"You can help me find who did this to you," Mirage whispers once the two are alone, "I suspect it's the holiday killer even if you're not dead."
"I don't know. All I could see was red eyes," Aaron tells him.
"Just like Daniel said. We need to talk to Arcee."