Pizza and Awkward Conversations - Basil

Basil was sitting in Gino's, he was waiting for Kel who had begged him for hours to meet him there at noon. Talking about some kind of surprise. Now, he looked at the time and let out a sigh, 'Noon and he still isn't here. It was today, right?'

He pulled out his phone. He didn't use it much other than texting Sunny, the only other things he really used were the notes and he groaned when he looked at the date he'd written in them. He stood up, 'It was tomorrow! Goodness I'm stupid.'

He headed for the door, it swung open before he could even push on it and he went falling forward, slamming into someone on the other side. They tumbled to the ground Basil managing to keep himself from falling onto the person, but in turn landing on the side of his arm painfully. He winced, "Ah! I'm sorry! Are you alright!?"

The other person laughed, a sweet, familiar, laugh. For a moment Basil didn't even recognize the boy he'd ran into. Nor register that this was real. He just stared blankly for a moment, then got up on his knees and scooted over to Sunny. He grabbed Sunny's cheeks with both hands, pinching them and stretching the soft skin for a moment, still unsure if what he was seeing was correct.

"Uhhh Basil?"

"Hm?" He looked up to meet the darker haired males single eye, then his eyes widened and he jumped backwards, scrambling away quickly, "Wh-What!? No way! Sunny!?"

Sunny smiled warmly back at him, "Nice to see you again."

"Wait! How!? What!?" Basil was scrambling for words, trying to find a way to explain his confusion and slight panic.

Sunny stood, brushing himself off and offered Basil his hand, "I'll explain in a minute. Let's get pizza, I'm starving."

Basil hesitated, then stood up, notably ignoring the hand Sunny offered to him. "Alright..."

They went into Gino's together now, ordering their pizza and finding a table to sit at. Gino's was warm, quite the contrast to the snow fall that came from outside. It felt nice. Basil wasn't really fond of the winter, a lot of his plants died this time of year, but looking at the snow from inside a warm building made him smile ever so slightly. They sat in silence as they ate, Basil found himself staring at Sunny's feature. His eyes lined Sunny's face drinking in every detail. He didn't know how he hadn't noticed it before, but Sunny had an eyepatch on. Like a pirate. Basil squinted at him.

Sunny noticed his gaze and lifted an eyebrow, "What?"

"An eyepatch?" 

Sunny smiled, "Hey, we were huge fans of Captain Spaceboy when we were younger. Can you blame me?"

Basil swallowed slightly, "That's not what I meant."

"Oh..." Sunny's smile dropped and an awkward silence spread between them for a moment, "I can't see properly through it. My sight isn't completely gone but, it's a pain to look through so uh yeah. I just keep it covered up."

Basil felt bile rising in his throat. The pizza suddenly tasted like cardboard. He took a shaky breathe, trying to keep tears from rising to his eyes even as they stung, "I'm so sorry Sunny."

Sunny huffed, "Quit apologizing. If you keep beating yourself up about it I'll have to hug you until you stop being angsty, and I really rather not." He smiled slightly.

Basil flushed with frustration and embarrassment, "You seriously aren't even upset about it!? Your eye is messed up because of me and you're just going to let it go!?"

"Yeah, pretty much."

Basil's eyes widened at the straight response, he was confused, but he didn't know what else to say. He put his face in his hands and let out an audible sigh. "Why're you here anyways?"

Sunny looked slightly hurt, "Didn't you want to see me Basil?"

Basil's face turned a bright shade of pink and he let out an annoyed whine, "That's not what I meant! I mean, I didn't think you'd be visiting so soon."

Sunny laughed slightly, "Its been four months. You call that 'soon'?"

"I'ts sooner than I thought."

Sunny looked at him seriously, "Did you not want me to come?"

Basil's eyes widened, "No no! I was just surprised is all!"

Sunny smiled slightly, a hint of sadness mixed with it, "I'm glad... I wouldn't have known what to do if you had said you did."

Basil took a deep breathe, "Alright, well why don't we head over to my house for a bit?"

"Sounds good to me." Sunny smiled.