Chapter 2: Birthday Gifts

You walked further into the thicker foliage before coming to a halt at a beautiful lake, you looked around and climbed on top of your favorite rock. Sitting on top and soaking in the warmth of the sun on your cold skin,"this is where I come to escape" you said peacefully as you closed your eyes,"despite me usually being a loner, I'll be nice and share my little slice of paradise" you smiled as you looked down to see him eyeing a small butterfly. You knew what he was going to ask next, so you answered for him after sliding off of the large rock,"that was what your family calls a 'gift' " you said making air quotes before continuing,"I don't know why I got it or how, but I don't plan on telling the whole village about it, so let's keep it that way ok?"

He nodded his head quickly before sitting down still pondering,"do you...ever wonder about it?" The question made you pause for a while,"I try not to think about it too much, I merely use it to help lost one's move on and find their way home" he smiled softly, satisfied with the answer,"I never did get your name" you returned the warm smile before answering,"I'm (f/n) (l/n), but most just call me 'the mystery girl' " you both chuckle at the name.

As the years pass, you and Bruno grew closer and closer, exploring the jungle around his home lovingly named "casita" and you even taught Bruno how to find spirits, his favorite being those of rats. Though, despite the good times you and Bruno had together, the townspeople began to take note of how close you two were getting, leading most to being afraid of you and accusing you of outlandish and wild stories.

Soon, it was yours and Bruno's 20th birthday, and you were both celebrating the special occasion by laying by the lake and talking to each other, letting out your frustrations and your dreams,"as if the people couldn't be anymore crazy! Someone accused me of killing their goldfish, when I merely saw it in my vision" you laughed a bit at such an absurd thing,"well, at least that's not 'being a witch' to use their words in" you smiled, and he smiled back,"can you believe we were 16 when we met?" You looked at him with mock shock,"ew don't say that you'll make me feel old"

He laughed and sat up, reaching inside his rauna for a small box,"bruno! You didn't!" You said before pulling out your gift for him,"I guess we both had the same Idea" he chuckled before exchanging gifts,"you go first" he said, and you smiled before tenderly opening the box, inside as a gorgeous necklace with a metal raven skull charm, it's eyes had beautiful blue gems inside the sockets,"Bruno...it's beautiful, I don't have the words" you picked up the necklace and put it on,"it looks pretty on you, i-i mean not to say that you're not pretty i-i mean-" he was cut off by your soft giggle,"just open yours, I want to see your reaction" he softly sighed, the pink leaving his cheeks before opening the carefully wrapped gift

Inside was a bracelet, it's charm held a small hourglass with sand inside,"y/n! You knew I wanted this?" He looked at you in surprise,"I managed to save up some money for it" you said with a proud grin, and after a while of fumbling you finally got it on his wrist. He hugged you after admiring the small item for a while,"thank you, it's really nice of you to do that for me, you really didn't have to" you hugged back,"oh hush, it's the least I could do for my best friend" he pulled out of the hug and smiled,"I should get going, the sun is going down and if I'm not back by then I'm going to get an earful from máma" you waved him goodbye and once he was gone, you were lost in your thoughts.

"Best friend? He's more than that! Why can't you just tell him the truth?" "He is probably seeing others, you know how much his mama wants the family to grow" "did you see the way he stammered? Maybe it's because he likes you too!"

You had argued in your head for hours, when your mind had calmed down, the moon was high and fireflies had begun to sprinkle around the lake. You picked up your guitar and began to play the songs you knew from your past, the memories of your parents dancing in your head and at the first sight of your mother's face you stopped. "That's enough for tonight"

You walked home, the inside of your house was warm compared to the cool night air. on the couch was your cat, Ellie, who you rescued from a quicksand pit when she was a kitten. You closed the door behind you and sat next to her on the couch,"hey ellie cat" you said softly before drifting into a sleep.

"Today was a good day"