Don't Ask and They Can't Say No

Thankfully the next two weeks went relatively smoothly. Iris didn't nag like she had the first day home and that partly had to do with the bikers that frequently dropped by. The other part was that I'd put the help wanted sign in the window, though I had yet to have someone ask for the job. My second day home I had been surprised, but again unsurprised when a kid who looked to be still in his teens showed up with a kutte saying that Happy had sent him. I had every intention of sending him away till I noticed the only patch on the front of his kutte, 'Prospect'. If I sent the kid back to the club, they'd probably rip him a new one. So I put him to work and he came back night after night.

Happy never said a thing and neither did Kozik when he joined Happy. Iris would shoot me knowing looks and I would ignore her. Even as annoying as she had been while she was around, it was hard to say goodbye when she had to go back to work. I knew I was going to miss her and I was going to miss seeing the boys during the weekend. I made a promise that we'd have a cool weekend together when I was healed and Jack was so excited. Ben liked acting tough and liked to think that things didn't effect him anymore since he had turned thirteen, but I knew he was excited about it too.

The police presence had been pulled before I'd gotten home from the hospital, but three days after getting home I had received a phone call from Detective Olsen letting me know that they had a man in custody and wanted me to come down to the precinct. Iris had driven me down and Detective Olsen had led me to a room with a window letting you see into another room. They had six men walk into the room and stand against the far wall. They all looked vaguely the same with similar shaggy blonde hair and thin builds, dressed in oversized t-shirts and black sneakers. Even with them all looking alike and dressed the same, I knew the guy was him, the way he twitched and walked, I knew they'd gotten him. Detective Olsen had assured me that the man wasn't going anywhere till the day of his trail and that everything was going to be fine. Unfortunately they assumed the man had managed to pawn the items he'd taken from my apartment before they got to him because they had been unable to recover any of it.

Even knowing all of that, this was the first time I was home alone again and I felt uneasy as I headed to bed. I'd had every intention of staying awake till the sun came up, but then I'd heard a bike on the street and looked out the window. The bike passed under the street light and I recognized the familiar insignia on the bike's tank. I was willing to lay money on who the rider was as they pulled in and parked in the corner of the lot. The rider didn't dismount, but I could see the flick of the lighter as he lit a cigarette. The feeling of unease dissipated and I smiled to myself as laid back down in bed. Knowing that someone was there was enough to let me sleep.

The next day Happy didn't come to the bar, but he was outside again that night. It was another couple days before he walked into the bar, though he was outside every night. Happy came in alone, taking his usual seat as I poured his whiskey like always. He gave me a nod and knocked it back, I refilled it and left the bottle on the counter. It was an unusually slow night and the bar emptied out early. The prospect shut down for me and I sent him on his way. He looked to Happy who nodded and then headed out.

"You know you don't have to sit outside." I said as I wiped down the bar. Happy didn't say anything.

"The least you can do is come inside. I've got an extra bedroom and I hate to think about you out in the rain." Happy still didn't say anything and I smiled. He stood up, leaving his money on the bar. He gave me a nod and turned to walk out.

"I'll leave the apartment door unlocked." Happy paused. He stood there for a second before pushing the door open and walking out. I smiled to myself as the door banged shut.

"He isn't the only one who's stubborn." I mused to myself. His bike roared to life as I counted out the money from the register. Hobbling down the hall, I stopped first at the office and put away the money in the safe. Ace was waiting at the foot of the stairs when I came out of the office. I locked the door behind me and shut off the lights to the bar. I let Ace up the stairs first and then followed slowly but surely behind him.