| 8 |

Surprisingly two weeks fly by really fast, I don't even get to see Kenji at all. Aaron has been keeping me really busy. I honestly don't get why he always wants me there because he either ignores me or does all the talking. Both of them ignore where they're together. I walk around the hall to get back to my room. My room is ten steps in front of me but instead of going in, I go to the control center. I look at the monitor when I get in. The monitor shows where every soldier is because of the tracking serum. I see K.Kishimoto on the screen. He's in one of the lower levels and there is only one soldier by him. I walk back out the door and to the elevator.

Once I get down there I check to make sure no one is watching and I walk out of the elevator. His back is to me and he didn't hear the elevator ding, so I creep up behind him. 

"Hi!" I say as I grab his shoulders. He jumps a little bit as he wasn't expecting me but when he turns around he has the biggest smile on his face. I hug him and ask;

"How are you? I haven't seen you in a while." 

"I'm okay, how are you though? You've seemed busy these past few weeks." 

"I'm fine, I guess. I don't get why Aar-Warner always wants me there with him. It takes up so much time."

"Emotional support?" He says in a sarcastic tone. His brown eyes are looking right in my y/e/c ones.

"Also, I wanted to ask you something. You remember that day when Fletcher got shot?" He asks.

"Um, yes. Why?" 

"Because I noticed something." 

Oh gosh, what did he notice?

"What?" I ask. 

"You."

"Excuse me?"

"You, when Warner shot him you flinched." 

He noticed that even Aaron didn't notice. Of course. How did he even see that he was so far away? I don't respond at first.

"Oh." I say finally. 

"You don't like that, do you?"

"What?" All fun from this conversation is gone, it's turned serious. 

"Loud sounds. People dying. I don't get how you can do your job. Isn't all you do met with death?" 

I can't speak anymore. It feels like everything is rushing over me at once.

A/N spoilers for later books so if you haven't read them all don't continue! If you have keep reading! Also trigger warning for anxiety and panic attacks.

 My entire childhood flashes before my eyes. Everything, every birthday, every time I hid with Aaron and Mom, every time I looked up at my dad and brother with them looking down. I can't breathe and it feels like everything is closing in on me. I drop to a crouching position and cover my ears. Suddenly Kenji is down in front of me. He grabs a hold of my elbows and looks deeply into my eyes. 

"Y/N, look at me okay. Deep breath." 

My lungs fill with air as I stare up at him. He pulls me close and hugs me to his chest. I breathe in his cologne and it seems to soothe me even more. I put my arms around him as well and we sit on the floor like that for a while.

"Are you okay?" He asks. Such a simple question with so many possible answers. 

"I don't know. I've had such a hard time and watching Fletcher die made everything so much worse. Also, I've had so much work because Aaron's putting almost everything on me, and then listening to Juliette fight with him. I just can't, it's so much." I pause for a second then say; "I'm sorry, I just unloaded on you."

"No, it's okay. You shouldn't get to a point where you have an episode like that. You can talk to me if you want."

"Okay, your such a great person Kenji. Thank you so much." 

I check my watch and it says it's 10 am. I must've spent more time done here than I thought.

"I have to go and you probably do too. I'll talk to you later." I say. I get up and wave goodbye one last time and then walk upstairs. I walk to my room and back to my office I start my work for the day and all of the reports I have to do. 

I've been working for about an hour when I hear a knock on my door. Aaron is standing in the doorway. 

"Hello Y/N. How are you?" 

"Um hi, I'm fine. How are you?"

"Good, listen I need to talk to you."

"Okay... Come in." 
I move aside so he can come in and then motion for him to follow me to my office.

"What?" I ask.

"You know the simulation rooms downstairs?"

How could I forget those.  
"Yes."

"Well, I want to run a test."

"On her, I suppose."

"Yes, it might help us with Mom."

"Okay, when are you doing this?"

"Tomorrow." 

"I'll be there then, just come get me before you go down, please."

"Of course."

"Ok then, I'm going to finish work and go to bed. Night Bear."

"Night Y/N/N."

When he leaves I go back to my office. It takes me another hour before I get ready for bed. I flop into my bed and stare at the ceiling until my eyes grow tired and even then I still can't fall asleep. Everything that happened today is hanging over my head. By the time I finally fall asleep it's almost 1 in the morning.