[3]

Emma had no particular interest in Marcel's plans of showing off the system he employs to recruit new vampires. She was aware of it, considering the instructions Marcel had for her to stay away from the Abattoir on the nights he held his reward-the-night-walkers parties. So instead of tagging along with the two of them, Emma continued on with the plans she had for the rest of the day.

And that was why she found herself, walking through the streets of the Quarter, hand trailing against the side of the building as she siphoned the magic required to maintain the spell as she walked. Every time she came here, Emma made sure that no one who might be curious in her movements around town couldn't actually see her making her way into the closed down church.

And by siphoning and using the magic of the city itself, she also always announced her arrival in advance to the person she knew would be waiting for her there. She didn't want the witch to be surprised by Emma's appearance and instantly go into defence mode.

Because of that, the Broussard started speaking, her voice raised even before she was fully up the stairs leading into the attic of At. Anne's church. "Hey D, sorry it's taken me so long to get here, things have been going on around the city and-"

Emma's words, however, died on her lips as she finally pushed its door open and took a step into what had become Davina's bedroom since even before Emma came into town. She easily spotted Davina, standing by her easel as she worked on a newest sketch. But that wasn't what gave Emma pause.

"Oh what the hell is going on in this city?!" She questioned, throwing her arms up into the air at the sight of the coffin planted in the middle of the room. The emblem of the single letter M decorating the top of it was a hard thing to miss, especially since it continued appearing in Emma's life more and more.

"It's not what it looks like. It's one of the-" Davina quickly dropped her pencil, moving over to stand up from the chair she'd been sitting in as she started to explain.

"Mikaelsons?" Emma cut her off, knowing that part already. "Yeah, I know more about those than you'd think. Please don't tell me this is Marcel's doing?"

It was quickly becoming clear that in his misguided attempt to hide her from Klaus, Marcel had managed to keep a quite lot more than just the hybrid's arrival to New Orleans from her. And Emma wanted to figure out what else had been kept from her. She could sense the tension between them, but they seemed to have been acting friendly enough for it to come off as less serious than the coffin she was seeing now made her think it was.

"No, no. Klaus gave his brother to Marcel." That, of course, had Emma giving Davina the most dubious look the young witch had ever seen. Klaus giving over his brother? It sounded preposterous. "He's keeping it here to make sure its safe."

"Klaus gave Elijah to Marcel? Because he wanted to?" Emma could remember the lengths Klaus went to the last time he didn't have his daggered siblings in his possession. It seemed absurd that he'd willingly expose himself to such a thing again of his own volition. Not unless he gained something from it...

"Apparently he wants peace. It's a sign of trust." Davina explained, doing her best to hide the doubt and suspicion from her face, but Emma still caught it with ease. And she had to admit, Davina was smart to think of it as a trick. And most likely right.

Emma could understand daggering Elijah in an attempt to appease Marcel and gain trust, but handing over his defenceless brother was a step too far for Klaus if all he wanted was his old friend back. And every time Klaus makes a grand point of preaching friendship and peace, Emma's learned to expect quite the opposite.

Emma was quickly realizing there was a lot more happening than she could even begin to understand. The only question now was how she was going to find out what exactly it is?

Marcel had been keeping things from her. At the beginning in an attempt to protect her, but now that he knew of her and Klaus' already established friendship, Emma couldn't be sure how much information she would be able to drag out of him if she asked on her own.

And her other possible source was the ever-paranoid hybrid who was now probably doubting her because of her friendships as well. She was starting to regret choosing honesty as the best policy when it came to that morning and the truth about her connections in the supernatural world of New Orleans.

"What's wrong?" Davina's voice cut off the stream of thoughts going through Emma's mind a mile a minute, something that must've shown on her face enough to concern the Claire witch. And Emma didn't want to concern her, not until she knew what was going on and how to handle it.

With a shake of her head, deciding to focus on the problem at a later time, Emma forced a smile on her face. "Nothing. Nothing at all." She said, finally stepping into the room and throwing her bag down to the ground. "I brought you some more charcoal and a box of those disgustingly sweet cookies you like." Emma announced, acting like everything was completely normal as she pulled the items from her bag, handing them over to the now brightly smiling witch.

"Thank you so much." Davina said, grabbing the things from Emma's hands and turning back so she could put the charcoal among all of her other art supplies before digging into the cookies.

For a moment Emma watched her, a small tinge of guilt biting at her. She never lied to Davina, and yet here she was, acting like she didn't care about whatever Marcel and Klaus were up to. Not even revealing she was friends with the Mikaelson that Davina was keeping in her attic. But she couldn't. Not when Davina's loyalties all lay with Marcel and Emma wasn't sure what that would mean yet.

"And there's also that book I've been suggesting lately." Emma added on, not wanting to get caught stuck in her thoughts again. Pulling the book out , she threw it to the girl, earning herself a bored look as Davina caught it. "Hearing stories about romance is good, but actually reading them is what you turn your nose at?"

"These are fictional, yours are real." Davina complained.

While Emma hadn't told Marcel much about her time before coming to New Orleans, Davina knew more than the vampire did. When she first asked Emma if she'd ever been in love after revealing that the reason for their first meeting was Davina wanting to see a boy, Emma couldn't break her promise to never lie to the girl. So she told her.

And ever since then, Davina had been someone Emma told stories to about Kol. It was a way to keep his memory alive, and keep him close. It brought Emma some comfort. However, what was bringing her relief right now was that she'd never actually given Davina the name of the man she was in love with. All the witch knew was that it had been a vampire.

Noticing the look on Davina's face as she revealed why she was more fond of Emma's stories had Emma shaking her head with a small smile, realizing what the girl was working up to. "Alright then, which one do you want to hear this time?"

Emma had been planning on heading back to her apartment once she left the church, however, a simple text had changed those plans

Emma had been planning on heading back to her apartment once she left the church, however, a simple text had changed those plans. And now she found herself walking into a bar for the second time that day. Damn vampires and their alcoholic-like drinking habits.

Her eyes scanned the crowd, much thicker now than it was in the morning, until her eyes landed on a table occupied by a single hybrid already smiling her way. With determined steps, Emma walked over, sliding down into the seat opposite of him and speaking before he even had a chance to greet her.

"And now that we're alone, you're gonna tell me what fresh hell you're up to."