[21]

Emma found herself standing at the back of the large crowd gathered in the Abattoir's courtyard. She hadn't remembered tonight was one of Marcel's usual fight nights and because of that she and the Mikaelsons were hanging back, waiting for a moment to interrupt. And Klaus was the one to choose it for himself.

As soon as one of the fighters won, cheers starting to spread through the crowd, he was gone from her side. While, because of the mass of people standing between her and the centre of the circle, Emma couldn't see what he did it was easy to assume from the silencing cheers and thump of a body hitting the ground.

With a sigh, she and Elijah began to follow after him at a much slower, more human, pace. However, Emma herself didn't get too far before a string of sharp coughs forced her to stop as she tried to ease her lungs back to normal. Well, as normal as they could be. Her absence from his side along with the sound had Elijah turning back to her with a concerned look on his face. "Are you alright?"

Taking a few deep breaths once the coughing fit had passed, she spoke only once she was sure it wouldn't start again. "I'll be fine." Her voice came out cold and disinterested as she walked by him, obviously still angry with both him and his brother alike. Not that he could blame her.

"What do you think you're doing?" Marcel's questioning voice reached her ears from where he stood on one of the balconies overlooking the courtyard, his eyes entirely focused on Klaus. And soon enough, he noticed the bloodied state in which his sire had appeared. "What's going on?"

Elijah was the one to answer this time, stepping up to his brother's side in the middle of the circle while Emma hung back at its edges, watching, and waiting to see what happens. "It appears that we've interrupted a collection of filthy amateurs! We've come here for the girl. Give it to us, or we kill everyone here... starting with you."

"You two got a lot of nerve, coming into my home and making demands." Marcel glared down at them.

"Your home, is it?" Klaus mocked, a fake smile on his face that made Emma roll her eyes at all of their idiotic pride as she finally stepped forward.

"Jesus! You two can deal with the ownership later!" She scolded both vampires before fully focusing on Marcel as she spoke again. "Where is she?" She questioned in an impatient tone. Emma knew she wasn't the one to tell Marcel about Hayley and the baby, but if he knew the full story, she doubted he'd actually hurt them. That didn't mean he wouldn't take them somewhere hidden to simply scare Klaus.

"I assume you're talking about Hayley? Yea high, dark hair, bitchy attitude? Who is she, anyway?" Marcel questioned evasively, making all three glares focused on him only harden.

Emma was about to tell him it was none of his business, but Klaus spoke before she had the chance to. "She's an old friend. You know how sentimental I am about old friends." Every word coming form his mouth seemed like a new taunt directed at the vampire leader.

"Well, I ain't got her." Marcel announced, realizing he certainly wouldn't be getting any answers about Hayley's role in all of this. "And before you start whining, I did pay her a little visit earlier tonight. I was feeling nostalgic, so I took a trip out to the plantation where I used to be a slave. And imagine my surprise when I realized that the Original family of vampires had taken up residence."

The comment had Emma turning to the Mikaelson brothers with a new glare in her eyes. "Are you to fucking kidding me?" She questioned in disbelief. Everyone knew for a fact that they could have compelled themselves into staying at whatever house they wanted to. Choosing this one wasn't nostalgia or the need for familiar, it was a taunt at Marcel. One she most certainly didn't approve of.

And in response, Elijah at least had the decency to look somewhat ashamed while Klaus remained entirely focused on Marcel. He himself had gone quiet for a few moments at Emma's comments, watching her interactions with the Mikaelsons and realizing not all of her anger was directed at him it would seem, but he could figure out what was going on with their little alliance later.