[19]

It wasn't long after she left that Rebekah returned to the house, bringing Sophie all of the herbs and items she needed. And while the Deveraux witch prepared her remedies, they had all made their way out to the outside pool in the back of the house. Hayley sat in one of the pool chairs, wrapped up in a towel despite her high temperature while Elijah and Rebekah remained close by her side.

Emma stood a little way away, kneeling down by the edge of the pool with her hands dipped into the water. Knowing what Sophie's plan was, she continue to softly mutter out a spell as the water in the pool cooled down from its usual warm temperatures. She felt the stone in her hand drain just as she finished the spell, and, pulling her hands out of the cold water, she turned to Elijah, nodding her head as a sign that it was done.

"She's burning up. We need to do this now." The Mikaelson announced as he shrugged off his jacket and rolled up his sleeves. And with none of the women voicing any reason why they shouldn't, he soon jumped into the pool himself before helping Hayley in as well. Sophie put the finishing touches on her mix of herbs before she too followed them into the water.

"I don't see how a midnight swim is supposed to help?" Rebekah questioned in frustration, going on entirely ignored by the trio in the water as Sophie instructed Hayley to drink from the cup she handed her.

So, it was Emma who tried to provide a bit of an explanation to the blonde Mikaelson. "Her temperature is shy-high. The cold water, with the help of the herbs, should cool her down." She said, not moving from her spot by the edge of the pool, ready to jump in at any moment if her help was needed.

"You're going to have to get her heart rate down." Sophie instructed as Hayley continued to be unable to calm down due to the discomfort she was feeling. None of their remedies would work if she continued to rile herself up with anxiety.

"How do you suggest I do that?" Elijah questioned.

"Hold her. It's a natural human remedy to slow the heart rate and reduce blood pressure." Emma jumped into the conversation with her own suggestions quickly, knowing that they didn't have many other options,

"This is never gonna work." Rebekah muttered out in a worried tone behind Emma, and while she didn't voice it, the Broussard couldn't help but agree. It would if they had more time, but it was running out and they couldn't be sure where Davina was with the spell.

"Davina will break the link, we just need time." Elijah said confidently as he picked Hayley up into his arms, holding her close as she clung to him while gasping for breath that seemed to come harder and harder the closer they got to midnight.

"Elijah we might not have it." Emma had to point out. There was no way to know how much longer Davina would need. And going over to the church to check would take too long as well. But still, Elijah ignored her as he focused on Hayley instead, speaking to her softly as he tried to get her to calm down.

"Okay, long deep breaths, Hayley! Look at me. Long deep breaths, just focus on the sound of my voice." His attempts yielded no results as the woman screamed out in pain, thrashing in his hold as she clutched to her stomach.

"Screw this." Emma muttered to herself. They were reaching the point of no return, and she would be damned if she actually let it happen. So, she jumped into the water, hands reaching for Sophie before the witch had a chance to get away. At first, she siphoned only a bit of magic, just enough to call out a spell which forced Sophie to freeze in place, unable to resist Emma as she took hold of her arms.

The Broussard started to sort through the magic she could feel, and this time catching hold of the linking spell was much easier than it had been when she tried it with Hayley. She was about to start siphoning it when it suddenly disappeared. Emma could feel it begin to lift. And knowing the siphoning was no longer necessary, she released Sophie from the hold of her spell, the witch quick to retreat as far away from her as she could.

"I felt it lift, it's over. Davina's done it." She called out to the rest of the group in a relieved tone, although it was becoming somewhat clear all on its own as Hayley began to calm down in Elijah's arms, a relieved look passing over her face while the Mikaelson himself seemed stunned.

Wanting to be sure, Sophie took one of her earrings, using it to pierce the palm of her hand. A few drops of blood pooled in her hand, and Elijah quickly took hold of Hayley's, both of them looking down and seeing no sign of an injury on it. The link had officially been broken.

Once they were sure of it too, Emma turned her back as she approached the edge of the pool, her back turned to the rest of the group as Rebekah helped her climb back out of it. The water was too cold to be in there if she didn't need to be. From the corner of her eye, she could see Elijah starting to lead Hayley out as well.

"Elijah... as soon as your brother finds out that the link is broken, he'll kill Agnes." Sophie called out to the vampire who stopped moving as he turned to look at her while she continued to plead with him. "I know you don't owe me anything, but please, don't let him kill her." In the next few seconds, Elijah had sped out of the pool and over to where he'd left his jacket on one of the chairs, pulling his phone out of the pocket.

"Agnes dead sounds pretty good to me." Emma jumped in, sending Elijah a pointed look. And he knew what it meant. With Agnes dead, Emma's goal of protecting Davina from the witches and the Harvest would be complete.

"No! Elijah! She's our only access to the power we need to survive. Promise me that you'll stop him!" Sophie glared at Emma with an angry look in her eyes, but they didn't remain on her for long before she turned back to Elijah again as she spoke.

The Mikaelson himself ignored them both as he dialled a number before rising the phone to his ear. It wasn't hard to guess it was Klaus on the other end of the call, even if all they could hear was Elijah's part of the conversation only.

"It's me, where are you?" He took a small pause as he listened to his brother's answer. "Don't hurt her. I'll be there shortly." He said the instruction quickly before hanging up the call and focusing on Sophie again. "I'll make you one last promise. I won't let my brother kill Agnes." While Sophie nodded at him gratefully, Emma was now the one with angry eyes as she watched him walk away.

"I know you were just using me to save your people," Hayley's voice had Emma's eyes turning back to the pool where the werewolf now stood right by Sophie. "But try it again, and I'll kill you." She finished in a threatening tone before turning back and starting to climb out of the pool.

Forgetting her anger with Elijah for a moment, Emma walked over, helping her the rest of the way before starting to lead her into the house. "Let's get you dry and into bed." She said with a small sigh of defeat. She'd take care of Hayley and then she'd figure out her next step. Because if Elijah kept his promise, then it seemed she would need to take care of Agnes herself. Something she could plan for later.

-----

I've had all of these chapters planned down to every last detail and just sitting on my laptop and now that I'm inspired it's all just flowing out of me super fast. I hope no one minds the multiple updates after a somewhat long break.