[20]

After putting Hayley to bed and making sure all was now fine with both her and her baby, Emma found herself walking back down to the first floor of the house. Her clothes were still somewhat wet, as was her hair, and it was long past midnight. Safe to say, Emma was more than ready to call a cab and go back to her apartment so she could crash and get some much-needed sleep.

Knowing that Sophie had left, and Elijah and Klaus were still gone, Emma was aware that the only Mikaelson remaining in the house was Rebekah, and yet still, she was surprised when the blonde met her down in the foyer. "Both Hayley and the baby will be fine. I'm going to head on home, it's late." Emma announced simply, not wanting to stick around in an awkward silence now that she was no longer needed.

"Emma wait, please." Rebekah's call had the brunette stopping midway to grabbing her jacket off the hanger by the door. Somewhat hesitantly, she turned back to Rebekah with a questioning look on her face, wondering what else she might need. "I'm leaving. I only came to New Orleans to make sure Elijah was alright. And now that he is..."

"Alright then. Safe travels, I guess?" Emma's words came out in a somewhat questioning tone, obviously unsure of how she was meant to respond. But once she came up with something, she turned back around again and grabbed her jacket, ready to go and head out the door.

And then Rebekah spoke again. "Is this really how it's going to be between us?" Emma sighed at the question, stopping on her way out of the house. But still she didn't turn back to look at Rebekah again. "We worked well together today, I thought that maybe..."

At that, Emma spun on her heel, unable to resist. "Maybe it means I forgive you?" She asked, trying her best to contain the disbelief she felt at the suggestion Rebekah was making. But it still seeped through, rendering Rebekah quiet long enough for Emma to continue, a sharp edge now laced through her voice. "Well, it doesn't."

"I really am sorry, Emma."

"Sorry doesn't-" Emma cut herself off once she realized her own voice was starting to rise, and she didn't want to disturb Hayley or worry her if she heard arguing. "I needed you and you were so obsessed with what you wanted that you didn't even care about what you do to get it. Maybe it was your own way of coping, focusing on something else, or trying to get it so Kol's death wasn't in vain, but in the end it doesn't matter."

Rebekah opened her mouth in an attempt to say something else, but she never got a chance to as Emma continued, her voice growing more pained with every word. "I was in hell Rebekah. My heart was breaking, and for the first few weeks it seemed to get worse every day. What I needed most was my friend, and you were too busy running around with the woman who planned his death in the first place."

Once again, the Broussard paused once she realized a tear had slipped down her cheek before she even noticed it. She didn't even realize she'd been tearing up until she felt it against her skin. With a small sigh, she calmed herself down and wiped it off before continuing.

"I can work with you, and I can coexist with you, Rebekah." Her voice was now calm again, but still as cold as before. "But forgiving you, being friends again like nothing happened? I just can't do that." Having said what she needed to, Emma moved for the door, this time walking out of the house and closing it behind her before she could be stopped again.

" Having said what she needed to, Emma moved for the door, this time walking out of the house and closing it behind her before she could be stopped again