[25]

Walking through the Bayou with her phone as a flashlight, Emma's voice continued to mix with the sounds of the breeze flowing through the trees and the chirping insects surrounding her. "Idiots, all of them. Leave a pregnant werewolf to deal with a more murderous and insane than usual Mikaelson. Yep, perfect idea!" She grumbled and mumbled in displeasure, letting out a small cough as her breath hitched after she nearly face planted down to the ground.

"Bloody brilliant!" She continued to whine, this time coming to a pause in her steps as she reevaluated her choice of words. "Did I just say bloody? Jesus I'm spending too much time around them." She shook her head in disbelief before continuing to move along. "Hayley, I swear to God, if I find you injured, I'm going to murder you."

Even with her very vocal displeasure, Emma still wasn't blind to her surroundings. It was because of that that she came to another sudden halt as the sound of twigs snapping nearby caught her attention. Looking around, it took her a few moments before her eyes managed to zero in on the culprit behind the disturbance. "Perfect! Just what I need! Wolves!" She exclaimed, throwing her hands into the air in exasperation as she stared down the furry thing which refused to tear its eyes away from her.

"What? Wanna take a bite? You can try." She said to the animal in an impatient tone. "Your fur's gonna make for a lovely coat, buddy." She threatened. Would she buy one for herself? No. But it's not animal cruelty if it's self-defense.

From the way it approached her, calmly and anything but threatening, Emma wasn't sure what to make of the animal. Especially as it let out a small noise at her, jerking its head into her hand. "What? You want me to pet you or something?" She questioned with a highly confused look on her face.

Almost as if he could understand her, the wolf let out yet another noise, this one sounding almost impatient as it started to move off and walk away, still looking back at her every few seconds and making her realize what it actually meant. "Oh, you want me to follow you." She concluded now with a nod of understanding, watching him walk off further into the Bayou. For a moment, she looked around uncertainly before giving out a heavy sigh. "When did my life become this?" She questioned no one in particular before taking a step again, starting to move so that she could... follow a wolf.

She didn't pay much attention to the time as she followed after the animal, her coughing becoming more frequent and vocal the longer the hike through the swamp went on. Luckily for the both of them, just as she was about to start complaining and thinking if she'd actually lost her mind when she entertained this idea, Emma finally spotted something in the distance which made her realize where the wolf had been leading her. "Okay, so maybe I won't turn you into a fur coat after all." She announced in acceptance as she came to stand beside the animal on the edge of the treeline.

From her spot, she was able to see a small wooden house sitting on the edge of the water. But that itself was of no importance in comparison to what she was in front of it. The small fire which had been built within a pit illuminated Hayley's face as she sat on a wooden stool along with a blonde haired woman that Emma was certain she'd never seen before, the two talking between themselves and still unaware of her presence.

Before stepping out into view, Emma spared one more look down at the wolf beside her. "Thanks, I guess." She said in an uncertain voice, not really sure how to explain what had just happened. "Good dog?" She added on, highly confused especially as the wolf seemed to understand her enough to shake its head. "Are you even a wolf?" This time the shake of its head was more in denial than anything else, making the Broussard's eyes widen in surprise. But before she could question it all any further or try and find a way to communicate, the animal turned away from her and headed off back to the thick forests of the Bayou.