E.2. Mother

Sidharth picks up his phone and narrates the incident to the person on the other end.

"How do I take care of this little child alone? I have to work in order to earn for livelihood and I can't leave her with anyone else now.", He broke down in tears.

"She needs a mother Sidharth. You can't trust someone else then your own family. Give her the family she needs. She will be safe. Moreover, being a girl, they need mother at every stage of life. Who would she go when she attains puberty, who would she share her menstrual problems with, who would she share her little girly secret with, who will she look for help when she bears a child herself? In such cases mothers are the blessing. Give her the blessing she require. Don't let her feel like an orphan.", Said the person on the other side of the phone.

Sidharth heard every word uttered by the person. He was lost in his thinking. His thoughts were broken by Aadhya's cry. He excused himself and ended the call.

As he cleaned Aadhya's soiled diaper and changed it with a fresh one, he wandered into his past.

Flashback:

A little 6 year old boy, walked home from school with his mother. Their status was not so good that they could afford to send him to private school. All he attended was a government school where all the other kids who came were also from poor families like him.

"Maa, I went to play kho kho during the last period when the bell rang my slippers were missing. Since I got late, I wore somebody else's slipper and came.", He said. She looked at his slippers.

"Sidharth, that's stealing. Did you like someone taking your slipper without your permission?", She asked. He nodded no.

"Similarly the other person whose slipper you took will be sad. You should return this slippers to whoever it belongs to.", Said her mother.

"But Maa, my slippers?", He asked.

"I'll get you another one.", She said sadly.

The next day he returned the slippers to its original owner but his mother couldn't arrange another pair of slippers for him. She instead picked him up and carried him in her arms to home that day from school.

It took her few days to earn extra money to buy slippers for him because everytime she collected money, her husband would snatch it and spend it on liquor. She carried him to school and carried him back home everyday until then.

Flashback ends.

Sidharth took little Aadhya to the park in a pram. He saw a lady strolling besides him in the park, trying to get a glimpse of his baby. He quickly pulled the cover properly so as to hide Aadhya's face. He didn't wanted anyone to eye his baby after the incident.

He then sat on the concrete bench and watched other kids play cricket by parking the pram under the shade beside his bench. One of the kid with the bat hit the ball hard and it fell near him. The kids requested him to pass the ball and he got up from the bench to pick the ball and tossed it towards them.

The kids thanked him and he smiled back at them. When he turned around he was horrified to find the same lady holding Aadhya in her hand.

"What the hell?", He said ran with leaps towards her. He snatched Aadhya from her hand and pushed the lady hard making her fall far from them and hitting her head to the other bench.

"How dare you touch my baby? You were trying to steal my baby? I'll hand you over to the police.", He said pulling out his phone and went to place the little Aadhya inside the pram when the lady came running and pulled the pram away from him.